Cowboy Camping SanO

Nubancho

Nov 16, 2016
Orange County
With the lines to get into San O, you can probably just get in line and catch a few hours of sleep in your car, until they open up the gate at 6.

A friend was in line around 3:30ish this morning, and even by then, the line had formed to the ranger/employee maintenance portables, past the underpass.

Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
San Clemente, CA
With the lines to get into San O, you can probably just get in line and catch a few hours of sleep in your car, until they open up the gate at 6.

A friend was in line around 3:30ish this morning, and even by then, the line had formed to the ranger/employee maintenance portables, past the underpass.
This weekend is the SanO Surf Club contest, so it was lined up to get in real early. The club suggested that if you were entered in the contest to get in line prior to the park opening to be sure you’d get your spot inside.

nitsuj

Oct 3, 2005

This is what we used to do. Roll to the gate around midnight and be first car in. Of course post-COVID everyone surfs world we'd probably be the 50th in line at midnight.

heavymetalshop

Nov 29, 2020
Venice Beach, CA
I'm betting, although not current on regulations, that the State Parks don't allow overnight camping except in designated campgrounds. I think you can still camp in Trails parking lot, but someone else should confirm that. Miscreant - you probably know the deal there.
Can you still do this in the trials lot? I have a fully self-contained setup with my 4runner.

nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
Yep. There's basically a dirt patch for your tent, right next to the asphalt parking space. Some, if not all of the spaces have a table and fire pit. Restrooms, with outdoor sinks and showers are spaced out through the park.
I believe that if staying overnight you have to pay campground rates, not just the day parking rate. Correct me if I am wrong.

The better choice is San Mateo Campground if it is available. Much better camping and day parks pass included in rate.