Cowboy Camping SanO

May 1, 2021
SoCal
Myself and some friends are headed to sanO area for some surf. Wanting to keep things cheap (and from campgrounds being booked for ages in advance) I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on the idea of sleeping in the sand down trails or around that area. Any advice or forewarning?

nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
I'm betting, although not current on regulations, that the State Parks don't allow overnight camping except in designated campgrounds. I think you can still camp in Trails parking lot, but someone else should confirm that. Miscreant - you probably know the deal there.

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
Myself and some friends are headed to sanO area for some surf. Wanting to keep things cheap (and from campgrounds being booked for ages in advance) I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on the idea of sleeping in the sand down trails or around that area. Any advice or forewarning?
I use to do it all the time back in the day, but we are in a different world now so I don't recommend it. Back in the late 1960's we use to take our sleeping bags to Campus Point at UCSB and spend the night. We never thought a thing about it until someone killed a few people there with an ax. Too risky now.

miscreant

May 20, 2016
I see people doing that frequently.

I’m not sure how the currently visiting circus would impact this.