COVID-19 Who had/has it?

JTS

Mar 24, 2005
My wife and I are both in our 60s, we’ve been diligent since last may to stay home (retired) and wear masks wash hands, stay out of indoors and stay distanced. I just finished my radiation treatments for recurrence of Prostate Cancer last month. We are trying to get the vaccine but seems hard if not impossible to get to the front of the line. We signed up through the state of Va Department of Health on February 2 , but haven’t been able to get scheduled.
How have people been able to get a vaccine?
Any tips, tricks or hacks?
Jim

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
My wife and I are both in our 60s, we’ve been diligent since last may to stay home (retired) and wear masks wash hands, stay out of indoors and stay distanced. I just finished my radiation treatments for recurrence of Prostate Cancer last month. We are trying to get the vaccine but seems hard if not impossible to get to the front of the line. We signed up through the state of Va Department of Health on February 2 , but haven’t been able to get scheduled.
Jim

I've got a tip for you:

1. Figure out what the registration website is so you can go there quickly and easily.

2. Make an educated guess as to when they might post new openings. Keep in mind that it's probably a real person posting openings, so use some time-based landmarks like the start of their day, lunchtime, etc. My suggestions are to check at 8am, 9am, noon, 5pm, 8pm, and midnight. Our local health department posts new openings at 8am sharp, probably right when they get into the office -- we nailed a slot at our first attempt when we started strategically checking at 8am.

3. Not entirely necessary but it is helpful if you and your wife both have your computer/device open and go to the site at the same time so you can enter your data simultaneously. Better odds of getting adjacent time slots.

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
I've got a tip for you:

1. Figure out what the registration website is so you can go there quickly and easily.

2. Make an educated guess as to when they might post new openings. Keep in mind that it's probably a real person posting openings, so use some time-based landmarks like the start of their day, lunchtime, etc. My suggestions are to check at 8am, 9am, noon, 5pm, 8pm, and midnight. Our local health department posts new openings at 8am sharp, probably right when they get into the office -- we nailed a slot at our first attempt when we started strategically checking at 8am.

3. Not entirely necessary but it is helpful if you and your wife both have your computer/device open and go to the site at the same time so you can enter your data simultaneously. Better odds of getting adjacent time slots.
Also my wife got her parents in almost by accident. Check emails religiously - she was checking her spam folder when it popped up on her last successfully attempt. Here it lets you try for a certain time of day apparently - she got them in by going for the last appointments available. Before she’d always tried earlier/first openings. This time - bingo ! Good luck!

JTS

Mar 24, 2005
Thanks Chilly and DJR we'll try those tactics to see if it helps. I guess I’m just a bit frustrated from not knowing if we are a week away, a month away or six months away from the shots
Jim

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
PNW between here and there
Jim
We (her 69, me 71) had previously registered with the 5 web sites designated to offer vaccines - state, county, local hospital, and 2 pharmacies.
County had earlier announced they would be offering a limited number of vaccine doses for 70 and over sometime this week, wife checked the websites as usual early this morning, saw they had just opened registration, and nabbed me a vaccine appt for this Fri just as I got a text alert that vaccination appointments were availble.
Got lucky because by the time my appointment was confirmed, all vaccine appointments had been claimed.
This won't change anything in our acitivties until my wife is vaccinated as well after they open up 65 and over....once we're both good to go, we have a serious backlog of in-person kids/grandkids time to catch up on...not to mention some much needed surf trips..

So research who is giving vaccinations in your area, get registered on each of their respective web sites, signing up for text alerts, and check the web sites several times a day. Best of luck!

takedown

Jun 26, 2017
Eugene, OR
A younger friend in Nevada signed up on a vaccine hunters group specific to Nevada on Facebook that was tracking locations that would otherwise throw away the unused vaccines at the end of the day. He was able to show up at the end and get one of those that would have otherwise been destroyed. Perhaps there is a group in your respective states like this. The vast difference in availability is interesting. We are just starting to vaccinate 85 year olds where family in Oklahoma that are 65 have appointments to get theirs. Good luck all and glad to hear so many people on here are taking it serious and protecting their loved ones.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
Just got my second shot. Thanks to the VA Health Systemthe other Perot also. My wife has been up at 6 am for four weeks. Only to get in a queue only to get a message that the dates were filled. She finally got on the list Friday got a call monday that ther was an opening for this Wednesday. At 11:30. Seems that we can relax a bit of course we will still wear our mask and do social distancing.

paipodude

Oct 27, 2019
Maryland, or By-the-Sea
I had been trying to obtain an appointment for several weeks. In Maryland it was a rather frustrating process, very decentralized, and each website several pieces of information had to be entered. Some spun for 20 minutes or longer, you filled out info and then it said no appointments were left. Information had to entered from scratch each time. The sites run by the State and County health departments and a couple of hospital systems enabled the end-user to register there information and await an email for appointment information.

Finally snatched an appointment with CVS down in Ocean City, MD, so it was like a road trip to go surfing. The thing is, I had a couple of different browsers open on my Win10 laptop and my Android phone. Nothing was happening, could not get through. My wife saw my frustration, picked up her iPad and got right through, entered my information and made my appointment. That was a week ago Friday and we drove down 3 days later (Monday). I go for my second shot in three weeks.

Lessons learned? My nearby Rite Aid is giving shots, but I could not get registered there, but I did for a CVS 2-1/2 hours away. I also noticed that many of the registration/appointment sites were operating system/browser sensitive. Some appear to favor cell phones, others iPad/iOS, still others Chrome and another site favored Firefox. Good luck navigating that chaos!

Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
Had Covid-19 last spring also. 103 fever for 10-12 days. Lost sense of smell and taste. After nine days of 103 fever, took doctors advice and went to emergency room, where they x-rayed and tested me and sent me home with anabiotic prescription. Doctor said as long as I can hold my breath for 10 seconds I’m OK to stay home. I could barely hold my breath for 10 seconds but came through OK.
I couldn’t wait to get out of the house and into the fresh spring air, I went surfing and bike riding and took baby aspirin every day. The county nurse called to track my recovery and said it was OK to go out after 72 hours without fever reducers or any other meds.
Stay hydrated! I forced myself to eat.
Thumbs up, Zip!