COVID-19 Who had/has it?

Makawaosurfer93

Feb 15, 2007
USA New Jersey
I am 60 YO and into my 4th week after a positive Rapid and PCR test for Covid and I still have a dry cough and am a little weak, but thats it. My experience was that mine was less severe than the seasonal flu I had last year, but it is lasting much longer and the daily progress was much smaller comparatively. No fever, dry cough, nausea, weak, and diarrhea. For the most part not too bad compared to some. I had been very cautious the entire year, until the one time we went out to dinner on a whim with some friends. The friend, at the time, didn't know that his 25 YO son was exposed to someone that was positive after a visit to Pittsburgh. Only after the father had tested positive did his son tell him of his exposure. My friend wound up in the hospital for about a week. He does not take care of himself health wise, which I believe contributed to the severity of his situation. The son's attitude was, "I am not positive because I don't want to be tested, but I am sure I brought it into the house". So now I was exposed and after being told of his positive result on this day I started to feel shitty and I got tested.

I am not asking for any political opinions on the handling of the pandemic, or whether or not you will get the vaccine, but rather I am curious if my experience is similar to anyone else's, and if so, how long did it take to have no symptoms of Covid after your initial positive test? Were you able to exercise, workout relatively soon or has it been awhile?

Please no politics.

Last edited:

sightpoint

Jan 28, 2014
2' and onshore
Sorry to hear this, man. I haven't had it but several co-workers have. I'm a teacher. Their experience was similar to yours, long recovery, lingering fatigue, lingering cough and weakness, aches, etc. Some were worse off than others, but no hospitalizations. Most of them were back to work about 4-5 weeks after diagnosis but I think only one of them (she's only 25) is back to exercising.

Maybe this is counterintuitive, but speedy recovery, and take it slow. :)

SharkB8

Sep 21, 2011
USA Virginia
Sorry to hear but at least it sounds like you are on the getting better side. My mom had it and 4 weeks later still has slight cough and still exhausted easily. She’s 65. I’ve heard of people bouncing right back and others of longer lasting effects. Please don’t get medical advice from the internet or me. Hope you are back to 100% soon.

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Oh man. Sorry to hear it, Dave. A relative (aged 65 but going on 23) had it, claims to have gotten only mild symptoms, and was flitting about town the second her two week quarantine was over. (I say "claims" because we know she is a risk taker but isn't forthcoming about any of that to us.) Another guy we know who is a little over 40 and was otherwise healthy -- he was in a coma for 38 days, but thankfully survived. Seems so arbitrary. Best wishes, get well soon.

waveslider

Jun 3, 2005
USA California
Been fortunate that no one in my immediate family caught it and hopefully stays that way. Best friend got it in April and it kicked his ass for 2 weeks. Almost a year later and his sense of smell still
Isn’t back to normal. Coffee still smells like tuna fish to him along with some other weird smells. Lots of Dr. visits and no fix. Fuck, next to dying that has to be the worst.

Makawaosurfer93

Feb 15, 2007
USA New Jersey
Sorry to hear but at least it sounds like you are on the getting better side. My mom had it and 4 weeks later still has slight cough and still exhausted easily. She’s 65. I’ve heard of people bouncing right back and others of longer lasting effects. Please don’t get medical advice from the internet or me. Hope you are back to 100% soon.
Thanks @SharkB8. Trust me I am just trying to get others experiences as a barometer. I know better than to diagnose my health for the internet. The one thing about this virus is as @Chilly Willy said is that there are so many arbitrary things about this. I wish it on no one.

jdogger

Apr 4, 2006
USA California
I had it last March. Symptoms were weakness, dizziness, total body aches, dry cough, diminished sense of taste, fever that lasted 10 or possibly 12 days ranging from slight to 102 and difficulty breathing. Almost 12 months later, I still have a dry cough and experience frequent coughing fits. People tell me that my voice has changed; that it is deeper and somewhat raspy. I get the urge to take naps in the afternoon. I would say that my case was moderate because, although I have some residual effects, I was able to return to a normal routine.
I will be 69 in April. I had my 2 doses of the Moderna vaccine. Following each injection, I became very sick again and showed the same symptoms as when I was sick with the virus. I had the second shot this past Thursday afternoon. I was in very bad shape on Friday. Saturday was much better but still not great. I felt back to 100% this morning and went skiing today.
Some people I know had it far worse. One woman has all kinds of respiratory problems and neurological issues. She hasn't been able to work since last March; still coughing, very weak and needs to take O2 periodically. She will be sitting down, calmly watching TV and her heart rate will jump to 120 for no apparent reason.
I am not close to anyone who has died but I've heard of a few people that I have known in the past who have died as a result. As I've said before, you don't want this.

jdogger

Apr 4, 2006
USA California
PS I know who gave me the virus and when I was exposed to it. I was exposed on a Friday night and started feeling shitty Sunday afternoon. It was all I could do to get up and take my dog out on Monday morning.