Corona Time

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Freddibetts, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
    Who is out of work and what do you do ?

Is your local beach shutdown ?

Do you have a plan B ?

2. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Uk

Our beaches aren’t shut but local car parks closed and country in semi lock down. local surf community all abstaining for now despite best waves for about 2 months. Social media shaming for people who are surfing. Luckily I can still ride my bike!

I own a dental practice, we are shut to all but extreme emergencies and that will move to triage and sending people to a full PPE treatment centre as soon as they have it organised. Likely I will end up “redeployed” somewhere useful in the nhs. whether that's fixing teeth or doing something more medical on minimal training we will see.

Business wise it’s looking pretty bleak since we aren’t seeing patients we can’t generate fees. Unclear yet what government help there’s going to be but my normal employee wage bill exceeds the income as of today not including paying other fixed costs or paying myself!

We will be ok (just) if it lasts 3 months, over that and we are f***ed.

3. Bighouse

Bighouse Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    Hardly working from home. Construction Project Manager. Field guys are home for the time being. Construction is on the essential list but we run large crews which wasn’t safe given we build mostly second homes. I’m happy with the decisions my superiors have made.

4. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
    Luckily my company is still active and considered essential - sell electronics as a 3rd party seller online marketplaces
    we had to cut non essential warehouse staff to comply with state rules - however offered for them to return once this blows over
    office workers - myself- working remote from home

Beaches are open in NY/NJ and pretty crowded in the water when there is swell

Im in the same boat w savings if the work pipeline shuts down about 3 months

5. dtorrent

dtorrent Active Member

Jun 21, 2004
    I am out of work. So is my husband. We both work food and beverage. We are luckier than most because we have a nice savings cushion. We are currently awaiting the antiquated South Carolina online unemployment system to kick into gear. They were definitely not ready for the deluge of applicants in a state where the hospitality industry is #1.

The beach is closed. For the last few days they only manned the checkpoint from 6am - 8pm, so I could surf as long as I arrived before 6am. Which worked great for me! Today they announced 24 hour manned checkpoint. Not because surfers and beachgoers were abusing the rules...because ass clowns that are still trying to rent out their Air B&Bs (short term rentals now outlawed) were just telling the people to arrive and check in at night.

We have been exercising and trying not to drink too much, which is very hard. I had a few fun days of surf Monday and Tuesday.

So all in all, could be worse. I know my minor problems and dismay at not surfing for who-knows-how-long are minimal issues in the world today.

I would really like to buy a new log, but I think my board-buying days of 2020 are over already.

6. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    Samsies

7. Spritzer

Spritzer Active Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Virginia Beach
    Still at work - govt, essential until the end of time, might receive a shelter in place at work order if things get really bad.
    Beaches still open, there were some waves a few days ago and people were packed in real close like it was a normal day - bozos.

Artz likes this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    My school is pretty well shuttered in terms of the physical site - their is minimal staffing for those students who were already in quarantine or had no other options and who are staying in the dorms.

They're been great about providing training for on-line instructional tools, and since this is a light quarter for me, I can manage my class load from home near Bordeaux. Both my kids are here for the duration, and my wife is able to do her work from here as well.

There has been a great run of surf after the crappiest winter in 20 years (literally) but the beaches are closed. Even to extremely local residents. Too many knuckleheads meeting their buddies in the parking lots.

Plan B? Other than catching up on my dermatology needs? Seriously rethinking everything (except for family and a couple of favorite boards!) - commuting, especially.

I know these are lousy times, and wish everyone the best.

9. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020 at 2:58 PM