cooperdesigns roundlabel and Zeph Carrigg (sp?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by faceplant, Mar 14, 2007.

1. faceplant

faceplant New Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Hey I was wondering if anybody knows the connections between Zeph and Cooperfish- Is he shaping boards now or still working with glassing etc? Anybody have any experience with Zeph's boards? Thanks for the info!!

2. waveslider

waveslider Active Member

Jun 3, 2005
    USA California
    Zeph is shaping our malibu foils. The ones I have seen from him look top notch. If Gene is letting him shape them you know hes got confidence in him to slap the coop name on it

http://www.boarddesign.net/

3. elkisthebastard

elkisthebastard New Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Hmmm. The boards look great and all, but who the hell spends $1800 on a board they plan on riding? It doesn't even seem a bit excessive, it seems...I don't know. If he can sell them for that, good for him, but who are the people buying these things?

4. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    elkisthebastard wrote:
    The question should be, why buy a board you don't plan on riding?? The prices are posted on Gene's website and they are less than $1800. You really can't put a price on quality. http://cooperfishsurfboards.com/pricelist.html

From the website it looks like Zeph is shaping the cooperdesigns and Gene is shaping cooperfish. I would assume the boards with the ZC serial numbers are Zeph, but I don't know about the plain serial numbers.

5. Benny

Benny Active Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Plenty of Tylers cost $2K and people ride them evey day.

6. unforgiven

unforgiven Member

May 10, 2006
    my tyler was $1500. worth every penny.

i would rather have one great board than ten good boards.

Attached files
    [​IMG]

7. jason

jason Member

Aug 3, 2005
    USA California
    elks... you should give a coop a try, then you will know... And I bet you can pick one up for less than $1800.

8. einsteinqrockefeller

einsteinqrockefeller New Member

Dec 23, 2005
    i've ridden both and can honestly say that if you took the ZCXXXX off you would never know the difference.

9. elkisthebastard

elkisthebastard New Member

Oct 10, 2006
    jason wrote:
    Yeah, I'd love to, but it's going to be awhile. I'd absolutely love to give one of his Vs a try.

$1K to $1200 I can understand. But when you start getting up around the $2K mark...well, I just look at it like guys that drive really expensive sports cars. I guess it's cool if you like that kind of thing, but it just seems silly to me.

As my father used to say, "There's only two things worth paying top dollar for: beer, and toilet paper."

I'll stick with my $400 used Bing for the time being.

10. unforgiven

unforgiven Member

May 10, 2006

my parents bought a brand new house in 1960 for $12,000. one year later my uncle bought a brand new Hobie for $100 (i have it hanging in my dining room). I guess to build a house like my parents built would be close to $400,000 today. so roughly a $2000 surfboard today may not be too off. i know there are alot of variables i may be missing,but i am sure boards should at least be 1000.
    elkisthebastard wrote: