Con Ugly- What's the deal?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by PeakMaster, Sep 18, 2019.

1. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Indeed Sir. Thank you.

2. Squid

Squid Active Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I had a Becker Mitch Taylor Model which looks nearly identical to the OG Con Ugly and I currently have an original Con Ugly. While the modern version looked very true to the original, it was missing something in its ride. Not that it was a bad rider and it did in fact noseride with ease, but when I got on the original you could feel a big difference. Something about how the extra weight of the original works with the extreme tail rocker and allows it to draw these big carving turns and set up that quick high line to run to the nose right after take off. For something that looks like a barge, its anything but. For me, despite being a few pounds heavier, the original is far more fun to surf. I see that you are in Cape May Court House, you are more than welcome to borrow my Ugly to see what you like/dislike. Might be helpful if you are decide to move forward with doing a custom rendition.

PeakMaster and shadydave like this.
  3. deemce

deemce Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
  4. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Good info. Thank you Sir. I'll PM you if I pursue.

5. OneLove

OneLove Active Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Wilmington, NC
  6. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    I have a beater vintage 9'2". Good rider but I don't reach for it. Other better boards out there. Just my 2 cents.

pefa and PeakMaster like this.
  7. shapewright

shapewright Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    Gary Macinnon in Situate Mass. had 6 that he ordered right as the longboard era came to a close.
    Still in the packing and boxes tucked away in the rafters of his garage

walkingtheplank, DJR and shadydave like this.
  8. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Now if we could only find them:cool:

DJR likes this.
  9. Sax-son

Sax-son Active Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Three Rivers, CA
    I use to own (2) original Con Uglys. The first one was a yellow tinted 66 that I bought for $35.00 It was really "beat" by the time I got it in 68. I ended up pealing the whole bottom layer of glass off surfing at California Street. I sold the rest of it to a friend who stripped it completely and shaped a short board out of it. He rode that board for a few years after that. The second one I owned was a near mint 66 that I bought from Ken Polinski's shop (Innervison) for $150.00 in 1981. I thought I spent a fortune on it was too clean to pass up but was before the longboard resurgence in the early 1980's. I sold it to a friend when I was a little hard up for cash in the mid 1980's. It was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made(but not the only one). He surfed the heck out of that board and lost possession of it when he never paid for the repairs on it and they sold the board to pay for their labor. There were about a half dozen or so boards I owed, sold, and regretted. You always think there is more were those came from.

As far as the UGLY goes in performance, I found it pretty decent, but it was definitely not may favorite from the era. That award goes to my all time favorite, the Bing Nuuhiwa Lightweight.

SeniorGrom likes this.
  10. pirate_tripp

pirate_tripp New Member

Dec 2, 2019
    walkingtheplank likes this.