Con Ugly- What's the deal?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by PeakMaster, Sep 18, 2019.

1. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    So say someone wanted a a Con Ugly shape...to the T. Finding an original in the the right length and condition would be ideal but fact is they're rare. What's the deal with these guys? : https://www.theuglysurfboard.com/

Please explain.

2. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    IMO, you can't go wrong with that builder. Scott worked with Bruce Grant and has the Con connection. Add Bob Purvey and you have as close as you are going to get since Bruce died. Quality build.
    Open up an email dialogue with them.

PeakMaster and DJR like this.
  3. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Looks like the “special edition” is shaped to 1966 specs. Probably as close to an original you will get without getting an original.

PeakMaster and DJR like this.
  4. PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Thank you men. I think I know how to proceed. Again. Thank you.

5. Macilious

Macilious Active Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Only place I have heard of that has the Anderson version on the rack is Ventura Surf Shop. Seen some pictures on their IG feed.

DJR likes this.
  6. Roadmaster

Roadmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    there is a used Ugly , current model on the Wilmington NC craigs list, 10' red started out at $700 now listed for $650

7. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    I had an original in 8/10 condition in the early-mid '90s. I found it in the used rack, way back in a dark corner at Mel's Santa Cruz shop. I think I paid $200 for it. The Ugly was dirty, had some open dings but no big thing to fix up. Had the original nylon fin in an early box. The fin was bitchin', kind of a cross between a Gato and a Yater and it hung right back over the tailblock. The reverse blank was dramatic, extreme tail rocker with the bottom of the tail uplifted. LOW entry rocker. The board rode great, rode it in a couple of vintage board comps. The vintage board collecting & price skyrocketing had just started in '95 when I sold it to get a ticket to Jeffries. Think I got $600. Who knows what price(s) the board fetched during that insane vintage board collecting era in the early to recession years of the 'OOs. It was a rider, not some f-ing wall hanger.

PeakMaster likes this.
  8. PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Searched. Couldn't find it.

9. PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    You're right. $2300+ is steep though.

10. shadydave