coming at us faster and faster...

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, Aug 3, 2019.

1. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    I support this.

2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    "This thread is of a 9 year old psychology though"

Snideness -Mocking or derogatory in a malicious or ironic way.

if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

to state this thread has a 9 year old pyschology, when we're literally discussing the future of this planet, of the world our kids/grandkids and their kids will have to live in, beg's the question...why even go there?

3. JBorbone

JBorbone Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    relevant.. graphic.. and disturbing.

4. Flip756

Flip756 Active Member

Mar 4, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    The first time I watched that scene I almost had to turn it off. My better half said she couldn't take it and walked out of the room. I wouldn't consider myself a softie but something about watching an animal without oppose-able thumbs try to climb like a primate... fueled dinner time conversations with talks of change (and evolution) for a solid week.

Off on another tangent a private Israeli lunar lander dropped a bunch of dehydrated Tardigrades on the moon back in April. What happens if we don't actually understand the dehydration/rehydration process as well as we thought and the next time we get the to moon the Tardigrades are feasting on the the 100 bags of fecal matter left behind by the original lunar landing?!?!

JBorbone likes this.
  5. miscreant

May 20, 2016

Claiming “this thread is of a 9 year old psychology” is an observation. Your judgment of an observation is just that. A judgment. Semantics aside...I think you and I agree.

Why even go there?

Why claim one can say the largest number?

Why “talk” about the future of the planet?

I say y’all organize a pow wow, where everyone gets together, holds hands and screams at the sky as loud as they can. Maybe do it once a month until the next opportunity to effect change.

It might feel good.

Just sayin.

6. waaahoo

waaahoo Active Member

May 2, 2007
    Unforgiven, I don't want just any video, I want a video that you have found convincing.

While not there yet the fact that you can't seem to point to a simple video does start to get my BS monitor warmed up. Similarly you keep turning the conversation into one about the government's incompetence / malice and while I tend to agree that's not what we're talking about.

And economic collapse? I would argue that - with all the world's debt and every pension and social security being basically insolvent - we are already collapsing and we just don't notice it because they have been papering over the problem since the internet bust. Or, really, since they took the dollar of the gold standard.

But seriously, economies have been collapsing as long as they have been around. We survive that. Environmental collapses might be harder to overcome.

Surfnfish and Andrew Johnson like this.
  7. ekim

ekim Active Member

Oct 14, 2015
    But you have no problem with the government giving subsidies to oil companies?

Surfnfish likes this.
  8. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Or Solyndra?

9. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    the only thing the government actually does reasonably well is pick winners and losers in industry....that picking steered by the over 12,000 federal lobbyists camped out in Washington DC, sucking in 3.4 Billion $ a year from their private industry employers.

The US has never been a true democracy, it is a Federalist country sharing power between states and federal government. And that creates so many loopholes that are easily manipulated...disparate use of eminent domain, different jail sentences for the same 'crimes', different voting requirements in different states, district gerrymandering, and of course the ultimate rat fvck to a true democracy, the electoral college, which ensures the actual will of the people is subordinated.

# simple ways to start cleaning up this mess up.
    First, do away with the electoral college.
    Second, make campaign contributions from corporations (their NOT f'n people) 100% illegal, and establish mandated free air time for candidates so they don't have to whore for it.
    Third, mandate voting registration at 18 as New Zealand does.

Do those 3 things, and we would live in a completely different country, one that is actually governed by the people, and for the people, not by the corporations.

And not anti-business, worked for corporations, and my wife and I had to incorporate to meet client requirements for our consulting business. What I am is anti-greed and pro quality of life for my grandkids,

10. miscreant

May 20, 2016
    I wonder how much our planet will have changed once this thread cools down.

SeniorGrom, shadydave and dingpatch like this.