coming at us faster and faster...

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    utter bullshit
    right on track, DP, common sense applications are difference makers

...when I took over facility operations at a medical school in SF, had a 60,000 sq' two story building on campus, and thanks to a minimally insulated 30,000 sq' black tar and gravel roof that was an absolute heat sink, even with the the a/c system (2- 500 ton Carrier Chillers) running full throttle the second floor would never get under 80 degrees mid day during a heat wave.

The solution was simple. I had a contractor spray the entire roof with a silver reflective roofing emulsion, and from that point on we could keep the entire building at 72 degrees with the chillers running at cruise speeds instead of all out.

Built a house alongside the Deschutes River in Oregon with a free standing corner gas fireplace that had a stainless exhaust pipe running up and through the roof. Had the heating contractor install the return air vent for the central heating system in the decorative river rock surround behind the fireplace, half way up the wall.
    With the fireplace running, would turn on just the fan switch to the central heating system, and the return would slowly pull air from the great room across the stainless pipe, heating it, and then distribute to all the other rooms in our home, keeping them comfortably warm mid winter without having to turn on the furnace itself. Heating contractor liked it so much, he began pushing it to other new customers.

Point being that a little common sense and imagination can lead to low cost ways to reduce energy consumption.

ekim, davey, Artz and 1 other person like this.
  2. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    And, , , , on a corporate note, , , , here locally our big Super Walmart is getting rid of all of their old "open" freezer and refrigerators. Wow, you can walk down the dairy isle and not shiver! And, I just read, but I did not "Snopes Fact Check" it, that England figured out that just their grocery stores' open freezers and refrigerators were using 1% of the nations electricity!!!

3. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Well I sure as hell hope Norway doesn't follow our example!

4. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Maybe the Earth's history is synonymous with a hot Latina or Italian's temperament?
    (comic relief). ;-)

5. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Cross Board membership has a lot to do with killing the EV car GM Built. Oil and Gas companies invite GM Board member the join their Boards big pay and incentives Kill the EV Car and get even richer. Greed pure greed.

6. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Hell yes!

Artz likes this.
  7. waaahoo

waaahoo Active Member

May 2, 2007
  8. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    But, , , , , a few years ago everybody was all-hot-and-bothered about the "new" fuel cell tech. Ummmmm, , , , , well, , , , not so fast there Big Boys. It seems that the "power" in the cells would come from hydrocarbons. Yep, you guessed it, OIL!!!!! At the time I happened to socially see an academic type who was into the whole thing big time. He was rather blunt about it all; only a congenital idiot would think that we are going to drop "oil" any time soon. Period. A very large portion of the world's economy is based on petroleum. There are Trillions upon Trillions of dollars invested in petroleum infrastructure.

Artz likes this.
  9. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
  10. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    This type of thread is extremely entertaining.

shadydave and Bruce Fowler like this.