coming at us faster and faster...

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, Aug 3, 2019.

1. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Common sense? Now there is something that has melted away. Interesting article Bruce, if this is in fact true it would substantiate my belief that climate change has been happening for millions of years.

2. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    Our "culture", media and society seem to limit all of this to two, core, arguments; is it warming, and is man to blame? Make some popcorn, grab a cold one, and enjoy the show. I'm in the middle; yes, it probably really is getting warmer but, "man" in-and-of-himself may not be the sole causation. Ice cores have shown that there have been dramatic, radical, weather (temperature) changes in as little as 75 years! All before the rein of Man on this planet. It seems that you can meet someone everyday who does not have a clue; "ya, so it's a little cooler/warmer, , , ,". Well look at it this way; at 32.5 degrees F it is just "cold", at 31.5 degrees F it is "frozen". All within the span of one, single, degree.

Meanwhile we hear almost Zero about what is being done, what can/could be done, etc., to make any necessary land use and infrastructure changes that would need to be done so that we can adapt to the eventual rise of the seas.

3. waaahoo

waaahoo Active Member

May 2, 2007
    True Bruce, for every "fact" I can find a counter "fact". The simple question is, how many people do we really need - or can we fit - on this island without effecting the delicate balance it established over the last billion years.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  4. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    There are facts then there is made up BS propagated by those that have big profits to loss. Yes the Planet has had climes change in the past change that took a 1000 years to happen. This is happening at a very accelerated rate.
    The science is in it’s fact. We humans have created the the problem and we can find the solution. Many are working on finding the solution. For those that choose to hinder those that are working on a solution. Don’t worry they will also save your sorry ass.

5. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Imo the “fact” is that instead of looking for somebody else to find a solution let’s start by everybody taking responsibility of their own carbon foot print. Perhaps stop shopping online, and god forbid perhaps cease all destination surf trips. That will be the day hell freeze’s over. Just sayin:)

6. waaahoo

waaahoo Active Member

May 2, 2007
    I agree. People say that someone is making money off of climate change but they never name them and I can't figure out who will profit from the changes that should be made.. It seems more like the people who will lose money are the biggest BSers. And really who cares if it is an oil company that makes money or a solar company? There is always going to be somebody profiting from calamity.

7. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Yes those quick changes were due to massive volcano eruptions that that lead to mini ice ages. One mini ice age lead to food shortages in Europe wreaking the population. That lead to the Plague. The results were that about 1/3 of the population died off.

Andrew Johnson likes this.
  8. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Others ways are to invest in clean energy. Florida Power and Light is building solar farms. One is about 10 miles south from my home. I have put in LED lights. It was a noticeable small change in my electric Bill. Also switching to To a more efficient Tankless water heater. Saves energy and will get hot water a lot faster. Putting solar panels on the roof at this point is not affordable. So that will be put on the back burner.
    If it were affordable I would get a small Electric Car to run around town and such. In Norway they subsidize buying an E Car. Here our Government would never allow that to happen.

9. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    Yes, Artz, big little steps we can take to reduce our own, personal, presence. I'm in the process of putting a white elastomeric coating on my Roof. Ya, ya, it is a shingle roof, and ya, ya, I'm aware that shingles "breath" etc., etc. But the shingles are over 20 years old and plum worn out and have very little gravel left on them, basically they are "black", and I do not have any spare funds to pay for a new shingle job. The elastomeric will totally seal the shingles but my attic spaces are very well ventilated, no worries about "moisture". Now, my initial testing reveals, , , , the infrared temp scan of the uncoated shingle area is 166 degrees! The coated area is 116 degrees at 1 PM in full sun! My AC basically only runs about half as much as it did before the "white" roof!!

Artz likes this.
  10. Andrew Johnson

Andrew Johnson Active Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Ventura, CA
    Individual actions to reduce our own carbon footprints are hugely important, and we should all strive to be more environmentally conscious whenever and wherever we can. But pressuring the "powers that be" to step up and act -- now -- is crucial. But if corporations don't get on board, we're not going to make much progress. And I don't think many corporations will make these kinds of changes out of the goodness of their hearts. That's where government and (uhoh) politics come in.

"...more than half of global industrial emissions since 1988 ... can be traced to just 25 corporate and state-owned entities. The scale of historical emissions associated with these fossil fuel producers is large enough to have contributed significantly to climate change, according to the report."

https://www.theguardian.com/sustain...-71-global-emissions-cdp-study-climate-change

sightpoint, davey and Artz like this.