coming at us faster and faster...

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France

Couldn't agree more. Every time I teach a US goverment course, whether in the US or France, students are amazed to learn how the electoral college works, and the way that campaign finance rules ensure a bought-and-paid-for election process. And gerrymandering is, simply, one of the most undemocratic, manipulative processes injected into the system.

Between that and dispelling the illusion that he US goverment and economy are a hands-off combination, pointing out the incredible amount of regulations put in place by both parties to ensure their lobbyists are happy among other things... there is a lot of head-shaking.

Planktom, "we need to utilise and understand government, whichever flavour you choose". Hell, yes. In most of the West, he have the opportunity and incredible good fortune to do this... and don't.

Similarly, pro-business, pro individual freedoms, pro-personal responsabilty and pro-personal initiative. But also very pro-community and very pro-trying to leave something decent to my kids. None of which are incompatible in the slightest.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  2. unforgiven

unforgiven Member

May 10, 2006
    The internet has lies about Agartha...so can't do 5 minutes of research on climate gate or other manipulations of climate data for a wanted result.
    libertarians believe our government is way too big, intrusive and powerful.
    that must mean libertarians will cause anarchy.

3. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    'wanted result' being.....? Come on then, what's the agenda?

4. unforgiven

unforgiven Member

May 10, 2006
    Without the electoral college... New York, southern California,and Washington would decide the president every election.
    The middle of the country wouldn't have a say.
    Kind of like when n.y city residents vote for strict gun laws..it works for them.
    But not for the upstate NY citizens 1/2 hour wait if they call 911 during a break in.

SeniorGrom likes this.
  5. unforgiven

unforgiven Member

May 10, 2006
    Green new deal or carbon tax...or both.

6. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    So 95% of scientists worldwide have colluded over the last 30yrs to ensure there's a way to squeeze some more tax out of the population of the USA in 2020?

Surfnfish likes this.
  7. unforgiven

unforgiven Member

May 10, 2006
    With the amount of time you guys have spent replying to my "do 5 minuts of research" statement...you could have done an hour of research.
    When someone says 95% of scientist agree....I know they get their info from a main street media network.
    Personally I listen to BBC about 1/2 the time and concervative radio the other half.
    MPR/BBC is about 1/3 bash Trump...1/3 global warming is gonna kill us...and 1/3 world news.
    Conservative radio is about %100 conservative twist on all issues.
    It's not an ideal way to get news but I do get to hear Both sides.
    I also listen daily to a point counter point from two very knowledgeable guys. One liberal and the other republican.
    They do 15 minutes of the topics of the day.
    https://wgan.com/morning-news/ken-matts-first-take-8-7/

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  8. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    This is exactly the reason for it....oh New Jersey too. Can you imagine the politics of these ridiculous states determining every election. And for some reason I choose to live and retire in one of them. Who are the voters that put these knuckleheads in NY office. So much ‘equality of outcome’ hot air of course the ice is melting!

9. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Pointing out the obvious here, but news stories are just that - stories, opinions. Scientific evidence is something entirely different.

I've already posted links that cite credible sources of evidence base earlier in this thread. Here they are again, with links to the actual bodies/studies:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-global-warming-a-myth/
    https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

Real, substantiated scientific evidence is actually really easy to find in this age of the internet, whereas before it used to relatively hidden in journals and University/research centre's libraries.

As far as I'm aware, you have not provided (nor can I find off my back) any proper scientific evidence base to suggest that humans are not adversely affecting climate change.

There is nothing I would like more to be persuaded otherwise, but the evidence is overwhelming

Artz likes this.