Coastal Erosion

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Dawnpatrol, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    Ocean Beach back in the 20's, with a couple of miles of undeveloped sand dunes
    feeding the abutted beach

cliff-house-beach.jpg
    OB today, density housing long ago having sealed off those sand dunes
    OB now.jpg

Dawnpatrol and hankster like this.
  2. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    I’m part of a blue collar marina where there are no employees. We repair docks, operate travel lifts etc. it’s been a part of my life since I was a kid. The main dock was under water once every few years in big storms with the right tides. We have a marked brick in the patio showing how high the Halloween Storm came (Perfect Storm). I can’t tell you how many times a year the dock is now covered now, the brick has been surpassed yearly, etc.

My wife and I try our hardest to compost, conserve energy, avoid single use plastics like the plague. My kids and I often hike with a bucket to collect trash off the beach. And, we get laughed at by some of our counterparts.

I have examples of coastal erosion as well, but this is what stands out to me the most.

What do we do.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    davey, Surfnfish and sightpoint like this.
  3. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    No doubt this is happening and what we do is important. I just have this feeling that the planet has a limit for human population. Never hear much “science” on that subject.

4. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    Unfortunately there is no good solution to this problem. I do agree 100% with you, though.

5. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
  6. Dawnpatrol

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    For a good read on coastal erosion, if your interested in this issue, I recommend The Corp and the Shore by Orrin H. Pilkey and Katharine L. Dixon. Orrin was on the forefront of coastal erosion issues and as a coastal zone geologist and prof at Duke University studied nearshore sediments and the mechanics of beaches. Always enjoyed his lectures when he visited us on the Westcoast. I think he once said in reference to coastal erosion and property loss, "If you can see the sea, the sea can see you!"

Surfnfish likes this.
  7. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    "The big problem is with the [state] Coastal Commission. They don’t want to do anything that interferes with the natural flow of the sand down the coast.”

and therein lies the root of the problem..the 'natural' flow of sand ended long ago when density construction atop former massive sand dunes that abutted the beaches, formally the primary source of beach replenishment, sealed them off...add in plugged up/diverted rivers and streams, migration barriers such as breakwalls, harbors, ports...and pau to 'natural' sand migration

rip rap walls an endless, losing battle, they just increase the rebound suction of incoming tides and swells, pulling all sand back out to sea.

Groins make the most sense , they break up the current pull, break up big swells, and help trap sand in place....the fact they can also occasionally create excellent surf is just a side effect we are willing to live with

8. Dawnpatrol

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Toms Wave2.jpg It's a friggin chuggling act Lance. Not all prescriptions follow the solution. Sh&t man, been involved this stuff from day #1. It's a burnout and here I paddle out to a mile long jetty to catch an epic peak.

Surfnfish likes this.
  9. sightpoint

sightpoint Active Member

Jan 28, 2014
    2' and onshore
    Agreed.

I'd add that groins make sense for the communities that build them; not so much for communities downdrift.