Coastal Erosion

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Dawnpatrol, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    davey and Surfnfish like this.
  2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    canaries in the coal mine....it's coming at us so much faster, Tom, then even the most ardent global warming scientists had predicted 10 years ago.

Future generations will look back on the politicians and climate change deniers of our time, and judge them as war criminals for the environmental genocide they imposed on this planet

hankster likes this.
  3. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Yep Lance, couldn't agree with ya more. Seen and been involved in this issue for more than 40 years. At first it was subtle then the coastal erosion issues along SW Wa coast started to explode. Like the east coast we armored and did the beach nutrient gig but at the end we fought it out with COE to stop disposing the Columbia River dredge spoils off the drift cell that provided SW Wa beaches their source of sand. By then it was too late. My local break at Westport had receded over 1,200' and a one classic surf break was lost in 1991. Nowadays it has its days but it's not the same consistent break. I'm not sure future generations will have the institutional memory to give a shit? They should, but they will have no yardstick to measure the change in their quality of life nor their surf break.

4. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    All kinds of "ugly" things to discuss.

Here in Brevard County, FLA, beach "renourishment" is now a given, regardless of any "opinions" in regard to wether or not it actually helps anything, or even actually hurts. The bottom line is protecting the County's valuable beach front tax base. Even if the condos' seawalls are a main cause of other erosion.

The "climate deniers" thingy is perhaps way too political to discuss here. It is one thing to argue that man has nothing to do with it and, on the other hand, there really are those who quite simply say that it IS NOT happening at all. The bottom line, on either side of the argument, is pure and simple economics. Danged if you don't, danged if you do. Even if JC himself were here today and told us that it was happening, he would be booed out of the room. Economically, NOBODY wants to, or can, admit that it is happening. Who wants to stand up and say that Miami will be utterly worthless in 50 years, or that it will cost a Trillion Dollars to keep NYC dry.

hankster and DJR like this.
  5. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    And it is not just on the ocean coasts either...

I used to go to muskegon..
    Spend part of summer vacation
    With my college girlfriend's family..
    In the mid 70's
    They had a camp..on the shores
    Lake Michigan....so much fun..
    I went back in 1993..while on a trip..
    Over 1000 yds of the shore was gone..
    All the cabins..gone...
    Same thing on Lake Champlain..in
    Northern Vermont....
    Above Colchester..
    There is no way we should deny this..is
    Been happening...

6. sightpoint

sightpoint Active Member

Jan 28, 2014
    2' and onshore
    I highly recommend everyone interested in this thread, everyone living on the coast, and every east coast surfer in particular, watch this movie.

http://shoredupmovie.com

Artz likes this.
  7. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    here's a classic micro example of action/reaction...Pacific City, here in Oregon on the upper mid coast, is a hotbed for surfing and beach goers coming to the coast..one of the attractions is you can drive on much of the beach, so run your 4x4 to a spot, set-up for the day, great hang...

The best surf at this beach happened in the winter, when it's north point, a headwall extending west a quarter mile, would form a sand bar, and at times just reel. What created this sand bar were strong north wind days which would propel sand off of the massive sand dune at the NE base of the point into the lineup, and then the first southerly storms of winter would push that sand up against the point, and the point would begin to spin doughnuts.

Then about 9 years ago a local developer built a hundred yard wall of condo's atop that sand dune, the sand quit flying out into the break, the point rarely breaks anymore, and when it does it's a shadow of it's former self. The developer? He just tripled the size of the complex, building more units on the same dune, behind the first ones.

And that wave that used to spin from the outside thru the inside? gone...
    IMG_20160730_140647.jpg

theright.jpg

hankster, JMJackFish and DanSan like this.
  8. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    I say burn them to ground..with him in them.

9. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    But, and, we all need to understand that as "surfers", we do not "count" in any of these decisions. What could we possibly know?

10. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Graphic example for those of you who have been to SanO in the past few years - here is a picture of "The Point" back in 1972., and a comparative picture from a few years ago before the whole windvane and structure were wiped out.

Sano Point 1972.jpg
    Sano Point 2015.jpg

Surfnfish likes this.