Clandestino...wow!

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by dtorrent, Dec 14, 2016.

1. MDM

MDM Active Member

Dec 12, 2011
    USA New Hampshire
    Truth!

2. hullogfish

hullogfish Active Member

Dec 22, 2006
    USA California
    I ended up going with an 8.5 in Almond surfboards fin, semi flex with a very middle of the road template. Better for beachies and more pivot turning. I also bought a cheap fcs very raked, very flexy fin that was a blast in small walled up waves, but very drawn out turns. Actually had on of the best turns of my 20 years surfing with the fcs in. I saw on Manny's insta page that the Avocet was a board for bigger guys to shred on, kind of makes sense. Also, that the Clandestino bottom is a tri plane versus a single to double concave on the Avocet. Next up, think I'll try it minus the side bites to see what it does there.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  3. japsom

japsom Active Member

Jan 8, 2016
    USA California
    Reviving this thread while we wait for some more waves.

Anyone get their Avocet out in beach break barrels? Wondering how it goes in good steeper waves with that tail.

4. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    the rocker is kind of flat especially in the tail and the way the rail is rolled in the nose and the width would make this board one of my last choices for beach break barrels. That's just me. I suck at surfing.

japsom likes this.
  5. japsom

japsom Active Member

Jan 8, 2016
    USA California
    Yeah not my first choice for those conditions either just curious if anyone’s had success if getting in and up early with that rocker and maybe a certain fin setup.

Of course I’ll have to see for myself but enjoy hearing about these shapes.

6. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    not a particularly hollow wave and, and well not that steep either but I found my 6'5 Avocet worked best in chest to head high waves like Cardiff Reef and all the camp ground breaks. At 7'2 the board needed more roll-in set up like our rocky points here in RI. In CA my best days on it were at the River MOuth south of DoHo. I took it to Mex and it was perfect for Salidita.
    At 8'6 (Clandestino) it was basically a mal. Fun board. And at 9' well, imo it was crap. The rails up front wouldnt allow the board to properly bottom turn without grabbing and weighting the tail coming off the bottom.. well we all know how that turns out so, yeah. sold.

I love my 7'2. I should have kept the 6'5" but traded it for a Andreini Bullet(quad same size) and in all honesty the Bullet is at that size a way more functional design. Its lesser known design and not often spoken about because it is not a "hull" but it really surprised me. For a long time I was trying to get a round tail board with quad fish-like characteristics from a few different SD shapers and all the results were more like Magic iteration. The Bullet pretty much nailed what I was after.

sorry to derail things

back to Avocet's and Calndestino's. Imo, Manny makes some interesting boards. I like that they are fun to surf despite subtleties that take some getting used to. I think the best are the Mini-Simmons-Fishy mash-ups like the Chunk's and ASQ's
    In general, I think his shapes work best in waves like NCSD. Coincidence? you decide.

kclibman, hankster and WesCantDress like this.
  7. japsom

japsom Active Member

Jan 8, 2016
    USA California
    Thanks for your insight Cuda. I got the 8'6 from KCLibman with Churchs and Uppers in mind and will have to add "pumping" DoHo if I can get it early enough to beat the crowds.

Grubo and I have actually talked about getting something like a Bullet or even an MPegg from Dave Parmenter for a while just hasn't happened yet. I had a microlight fish that I should have kept, that thing was a rocket.

I have a Flat Tracker 2 and Slater Gamma for the good stuff, but if I like the Avocet I may sell both and get something specific for hollow beaches - whatever would be in between a Flat Tracker and C Bucket (but not necessarily from CC).

8. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    is the river mouth/ inlet also called DoHo. Anyhow just curious for the sake of calling things what they are. When I think of DoHo its that section of beach north of the tower.

anyhow, only rode the 8'6" at Pipes. Colin has it now. Whatever happened to Colin?

Between the Flat Tracker and CBucket have a look at Josh Hall Rocket Fish.

9. japsom

japsom Active Member

Jan 8, 2016
    USA California
    I guess I lazily call all of Doheny DoHo but usually stay near the jetty to get the best rewind footage haha.