Clandestino vs Thick Lizzy/Haley Pin

Dadanman14

Oct 16, 2020
Carlsbad, CA
I saw this come up in another thread from a while ago but it was never answered. Who has experience with both? Does the Clandestino handle small waves better than a lizzy? Does the lizzy handle larger waves better than the clandestino? Is there room for 2 in the quiver? If you had to choose, which would you prefer and why?

Sky

Aug 30, 2020
Southern California
I mean from the looks of the shapes the Clandestino looks like a fuller outline than the Lizzy, Lizzy being a bit more pinned out but still a full, thick shape. A friend of mine recently picked up a beautiful Thick Lizzy, and he surfed it yesterday in 1-2 foot waves. From the looks of it, it handled great, although I think the shape will shine in bigger surf. I have no idea what the bottom contours on the Clandestino are (you can definitely look it up and compare), but after feeling the Lizzy, its pretty flat (rocker and deck) with very forgiving yet foiled rails. Ryan found a perfect equilibrium with the Lizzy as its super versatile, forgiving, and you can rip on it very well. The boards are definitely not the same.

kclibman

May 23, 2018
L.A. County
Who has experience with both?
I do.
Does the Clandestino handle small waves better than a lizzy?
No. Lizzy feels flatter, happier in small stuff. Clando can shine in juice. @WesCantDress has actual rocker measurements, however.
Does the lizzy handle larger waves better than the clandestino?
Not in my experience. A little slidey in bigger/steeper than the Clando even with bites. Clando should have bites in my opinion, glass-on or boxes.
Is there room for 2 in the quiver?
Yes. Your wallet is the deciding factor.
If you had to choose, which would you prefer and why?
Clandestino. Bigger range, more defined hull entry, an homage to Lynch. There's better small wave gear than a Lizzy anyway.

Dadanman14

Oct 16, 2020
Carlsbad, CA
I do.

No. Lizzy feels flatter, happier in small stuff. Clando can shine in juice. @WesCantDress has actual rocker measurements, however.

Not in my experience. A little slidey in bigger/steeper than the Clando even with bites. Clando should have bites in my opinion, glass-on or boxes.

Yes. Your wallet is the deciding factor.

Clandestino. Bigger range, more defined hull entry, an homage to Lynch. There's better small wave gear than a Lizzy anyway.
Awesome insights! Thanks!

kevlar

Oct 13, 2019
nyc
Can a serena be comparable to these models as well? Definitely curious about a 7'11" clando for nyc surf, but curious how a serena matches up to these.

KDenning

May 14, 2015
Ventura, CA
I've got an 8'6 Clandestino that catches every wave that my 9'9 longboard would catch. I'd say the Clandestino is an amazing small wave board. I've surfed it dozens of time in truly .5 - 1' surf and had a blast.

I have as much fun on it up to shoulder high as I do when it's knee high. More than any other board I've had it adapts to whatever's on tap that day. If I had to pick one board and only one board to have for the rest of my days it would be an 8'6 clandestino.

NOW

It just so happens that I picked up a 7'10 Haley Pin today and while it's not a Thick Lizzy and comparing a 7'10 and an 8'6 is apples and oranges, I'll be happy to report back!

Dadanman14

Oct 16, 2020
Carlsbad, CA
I've got an 8'6 Clandestino that catches every wave that my 9'9 longboard would catch. I'd say the Clandestino is an amazing small wave board. I've surfed it dozens of time in truly .5 - 1' surf and had a blast.

I have as much fun on it up to shoulder high as I do when it's knee high. More than any other board I've had it adapts to whatever's on tap that day. If I had to pick one board and only one board to have for the rest of my days it would be an 8'6 clandestino.

NOW

It just so happens that I picked up a 7'10 Haley Pin today and while it's not a Thick Lizzy and comparing a 7'10 and an 8'6 is apples and oranges, I'll be happy to report back!
Thanks for sharing! That lizzy is a close enough comparison for me! Very curious to see what you think.

KDenning

May 14, 2015
Ventura, CA
Make a long story short, the 7'10 Haley Pin I just picked up yesterday with glass on bonzer's and the 7.75 Lovelace fin is the most fun board I've ever ridden.

I got in around 3 hours of thigh to stomach, high tide, peaky C-street surf this morning.

I don't think it's worth touching on wave catching or paddle power since we're talking about a 7'10 Haley and an 8'6 Clandestino but both boards paddle well and both boards catch waves effortlessly.

The Haley Pin has just as much of the top to bottom trim as the clandestino if that's what you want but the Haley Pin will go anywhere you point it - no exceptions. Radical direction changes, crowd dodging, etc. It made a dozen sections that really surprised me.

I'm as stoked as can be on it! It's as responsive from the middle as the clanedstino is from the tail.