CJ Nelson Outlier reviews?

Hodaddy81

Feb 2, 2021
Jersey
100 percent. Please let me know what you think of the 8 foot version. Very interested in your input on a comparison of one size to the other.

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Definitely will! He’s only just got it so felt a bit mean demanding a go on one of his first few surfs but he’s keen to try the 7’6 so will report back swoon as poss. Forecast is pretty dire here for the next week or so though!

Also another observation. The dims on all the cj thunderbolts are quite “fulsome”. Our shop had a 9’6 guerrero which is in theory an even more performancey version of the dead kooks nausea model. I have a 9’4 hand shaped nausea and mine is considerably more svelte then the thunderbolt 9’6 guerrero. I think their sizing is aimed towards “average man” & Bigger!

skurp

Feb 11, 2021
San Diego
I'll chime in here - good that you found @jory (Hey dude!) He's been a great guy for me to talk to about all things Outlier. I'm a lot bigger than you guys (6'0 215lbs) and had the 7'6" for the winter. After getting comfortable with it, I was able to more or less able catch and ride anything that wasn't closed out between waist - shoulder high. Found it pretty versatile, all "detuned" hull things considered. Not the easiest board for me to figure out - but I think for someone my size the 7'6" demands a bit more precision and skill. Still haven't fully found the rail on it just yet - but found it much more intuitive to ride with a stiffer, straighter fin.

I decided to sell it and get the 8'0" (which should be here any day now) because I got the feeling I was missing a lot of great rides - wanting that extra little bit of float to get into more of the fat, slopey waves this board loves at San O. Anyway - I'll be on the 8'0" soon enough and will give a ride report. Can't wait!!

Also - I mentioned this earlier - but I'd love to see your take on the Parallax at 9'1". Folks seem to absolutely love that board - and it has the same speed hull situation the Outlier does, but in a longer format, obviously. I was debating between keeping the 7'6" and getting the 9'1" Parallax. But decided to "sell" the 7'6" and get the 8'0". I put "sell" in quotes because I planned on selling it... but of course wound up trading it for a brand new 7'1" twin haha. I'm hopeless.

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I'll chime in here - good that you found @jory (Hey dude!) He's been a great guy for me to talk to about all things Outlier. I'm a lot bigger than you guys (6'0 215lbs) and had the 7'6" for the winter. After getting comfortable with it, I was able to more or less able catch and ride anything that wasn't closed out between waist - shoulder high. Found it pretty versatile, all "detuned" hull things considered. Not the easiest board for me to figure out - but I think for someone my size the 7'6" demands a bit more precision and skill. Still haven't fully found the rail on it just yet - but found it much more intuitive to ride with a stiffer, straighter fin.

I decided to sell it and get the 8'0" (which should be here any day now) because I got the feeling I was missing a lot of great rides - wanting that extra little bit of float to get into more of the fat, slopey waves this board loves at San O. Anyway - I'll be on the 8'0" soon enough and will give a ride report. Can't wait!!

Also - I mentioned this earlier - but I'd love to see your take on the Parallax at 9'1". Folks seem to absolutely love that board - and it has the same speed hull situation the Outlier does, but in a longer format, obviously. I was debating between keeping the 7'6" and getting the 9'1" Parallax. But decided to "sell" the 7'6" and get the 8'0". I put "sell" in quotes because I planned on selling it... but of course wound up trading it for a brand new 7'1" twin haha. I'm hopeless.
Hey man!

slight thread derail but order is in for my twin! 6’10 x 21 x 2.63 or so. Waiting on the shaper to send some templates over so we can fine tune!

takedown

Jun 26, 2017
Eugene, OR
@skurp thanks for the ride report on the outlier. I'm going to be camping out at San O in mid June and will have a 9'6 parallax if you want to give it a go. I'm picking it up from fluidworks on the drive down. I'll have several other boards to ride and you are welcome to meet up and try it out. I also have a 8' outlier that I'll be picking up and then deciding which boards to leave with family and which to bring back to Oregon

skurp

Feb 11, 2021
San Diego
@skurp thanks for the ride report on the outlier. I'm going to be camping out at San O in mid June and will have a 9'6 parallax if you want to give it a go. I'm picking it up from fluidworks on the drive down. I'll have several other boards to ride and you are welcome to meet up and try it out. I also have a 8' outlier that I'll be picking up and then deciding which boards to leave with family and which to bring back to Oregon
Awesome! Hell yeah - I live in Oceanside and surf Trails at least once a week. Gimme a shout when you're down here. Looking forward to it