CJ Nelson Outlier reviews?

Hodaddy81

Feb 2, 2021
Jersey
I feel if you’re using it as a step up fun board from a short board you’ll be disappointed, but conversely if you’re using it as a step down from a longboard to gain some performance you’ll love it.
A lot of times how you feel about a board just comes down to your perspective.
the review part of my platform is my perspective and opinion. I am planning on having guests review as well so people get other opinions, but to start the platform off I am doing everything myself. i am just a almost 40 small framed average surfer that surfs average waves in NJ.

takedown

Jun 26, 2017
Eugene, OR
I'll be watching future reviews. I really like this type of video where normal surfers review boards from their point of view. Your take likely aligns more then super pro joe who is frustrated the board isn't 38L

Thanks for sharing and keep posting.

Hodaddy81

Feb 2, 2021
Jersey
I'll be watching future reviews. I really like this type of video where normal surfers review boards from their point of view. Your take likely aligns more then super pro joe who is frustrated the board isn't 38L

Thanks for sharing and keep posting.
That is the exact reason why. I try to find reviews on boards I am interested and the people talking about them are either the pro that has his model. or its a shop that sells the model. Plenty more on the way!!

www.surfcraftunion.com

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I was thinking some more about the “not being able to rip” thing.

Cj is small but very powerful and is good at manhandling big boards. He definitely surfs aggressively when he wants to.

Seems from what I’ve read that the outlier is positioned almost as a board in his range that is suitable for beginners. I think they’ve added foam and detuned it to a point that it feels very neutral and cruisey and that means it’s lost some performance. As you noted, there’s quite a lot of foam in there. Especially in the rail of the tail. Like I said, I think you’d have found the 7’6 more lively.

Hodaddy81

Feb 2, 2021
Jersey
I was thinking some more about the “not being able to rip” thing.

Cj is small but very powerful and is good at manhandling big boards. He definitely surfs aggressively when he wants to.

Seems from what I’ve read that the outlier is positioned almost as a board in his range that is suitable for beginners. I think they’ve added foam and detuned it to a point that it feels very neutral and cruisey and that means it’s lost some performance. As you noted, there’s quite a lot of foam in there. Especially in the rail of the tail. Like I said, I think you’d have found the 7’6 more lively.
Totally agree. With that said I am looking forward to trying a longboard outline by him. Where that extra volume will work in my favor. Also lets keep in mind that board mostly in Jersey quick beach breaks with lots of sections. That board even in the 8 foot version would have been amazing in a proper point break. A wave with less obstacles and a wave with plenty of time to figure out the next move. As far as the 7’6 it was not available at the time of purchase. Also I will say that the in depth research i did on this board made the 8’0 sound much smaller because of the tech. Actually even looking on this forum as well I was kinda pushed into the direction of the 8’0 foot. I obviously can not blame any ones opinion on what size board I got and that it did not work out for me. In general I personally like my boards in that length more foiled in the rail no matter what. So unfortunately the 7’6 maybe would have been a smaller outline but not sure if I would have liked it much more. Anyway I do appreciate you checking out my review. Honestly this is the best part about it meaning discussing it with other fellow surfers. I just hope that I am not hurting anyone’s feelings about the board. It’s literally a review from a 40 year old surfer with a bad back ( like most of us) in not the best waves in New Jersey.

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Just out of interest how heavy / tall are you?

As far as the 7’6 goes, it will whip through a turn and go more top to bottom than I think the 8’ would but it’s still quite a cruisey surf. It’s still essentially a detuned hull. Like I said in here earlier, it’s still a board that has a hull feel and draws hull style lines, it’s just less weird to cutback than a lidddle

What I do think losing the 6” does ( for me anyway ) is to allow me to mentally start thinking about the lines I’m going to draw in a slightly more vertical fashion ( climbing and dropping ) and move away from a logger single fin bottom turn and scamper forward into trim kind of approach. It also means you don’t need to move forward and backward so much between a trim and turning position.

I think you are right about the rails to a point - I have noticed that on a Shoulder high wave when you’re hauling down the line it can be difficult to keep the rail in the water enough for an aggressive cutback compared to other mid length boards with thinner rails

Hodaddy81

Feb 2, 2021
Jersey
I am 5’ 8 around 140ish? I don’t have a scale in the house haha. But again in a good wave I think I would have had a different experience. Now with all this said I had the pleasure of owning a 8’3 colapintail years ago. believe it or not ion my experience it was way more maneuverable then the outlier. But keep in mind too completely different board. But if we are comparing volume and over all inches the p[intail is 3 inches longer but 5 liters less. None the less the outlier is a great board. Just not my exact cup of tea, but I could see how other people absolutely love it.

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Yeah so I’m 5’6 and 150ish for comparison and I’ve generally been riding mine in waist to shoulder plus beach break. My friend has the 8’0 - I haven’t had chance to ride it yet but from watching him and picking it up, in my head I feel like I’d be approaching it more as a mini log than an egg if that makes sense.

I can totally see the colapintail being more manoeuvrable - it’s a much more “modern” kinda shape, more edge, more foiled, less roll, not a hull inspired board.