Cj Nelson Boards.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
My back is out again so here I am with a lot of time that needs to be waisted. No Surfing or Riding my E bike. Even painting at my easel after an hour starts to be painful.
So checking Craigslist looking at Boards as well as offer up and Facebook market. I ran across someone selling a CJ Nelson Oz Noserider. The board is about an hour drive from my surf shack. He claimed it was only in the Water for about 1/2 an hour. The rest of the time it hung on his office wall. In the ad he said he paid $1,500 plus tax. 4 years ago. Now asking $1,300. I pointed out to him that a new Thunderbolt boards are selling for less then what he is asking for a board the has been discontinued for at least 3 years. He seems to be set on his price. At this point not willing to drive up there and haggle.
There are a couple of CJ Nelsons up in Virginia Beach area. One an 8’3” Colipintail, t the he other is a 9’4”Australian Slasher. Both seem to be priced right. $750. and $850.

Reactions: DJR

heavymetalshop

Nov 29, 2020
Venice Beach, CA
8’3 sage parallax arrived. It’s the same volan green color but with a matte finish. Looks better but was hoping for the actual sage green. No biggie. Shape looks awesome. Feels awesome.

Rode my 9’3 this am. One final ride before I sell it. Man, I love this shape. Can’t wait to see how the 8’3 compares.

533BC09F-113E-46DC-8693-1ED6B6CB3A0A.jpeg

6210B218-56A4-46A6-9C64-1968C5D256EC.jpeg

Bodhi1502

May 12, 2021
San Diego
I'm interested to hear the difference. Love my 9'6 so much. Not sure if the 8'3 would measure up to all that I like about the bigger board. But I'm definitely interested. Especially if it can get in some steeper beach break waves better.

heavymetalshop

Nov 29, 2020
Venice Beach, CA
I'm interested to hear the difference. Love my 9'6 so much. Not sure if the 8'3 would measure up to all that I like about the bigger board. But I'm definitely interested. Especially if it can get in some steeper beach break waves better.
Yep, this is sort of what I’m looking to learn. Give me a month to get some solid time in.
Looks nice. What fin are you running in the shorter one?
Going to run a 9.25 a flex. I ran this fin in the 9’3 after running a 9.5 FD parallax fin. I liked the aflex more because I felt like it gave me similar flex but better, longer noserides. The aflex is a great fin.

Old Dude

Oct 12, 2021
Germany
425A098C-6720-4753-913D-DE5B095A9850.jpeg
259822DD-C6EB-4F64-8E76-58C6A1D5FD31.jpeg
Hello,
I‘m new to Jamboards, 58 years old, live in Germany and started surfing late at the age of 40, the first about 15 years, I surfed only during summer vacation, so finally I would rate myself as an old early intermediate, if not late beginner. My „homespot“ is Arrifana, Portugal (for those who know, only the beach, the famous point works only from 1,5 to double overhead and is not the right spot for me… :)
Since some years I build my boards out of wood, mostly balsa.
Two of my latest boards are both heavily influenced by CJ Nelsons boards.
I adapted a Colapintail in 8‘0 and a Haven 9‘4 into wood and cork and love them both. The 9‘4 is my actual favorite as you can see in enclosed pics. If wet it way about 13-14 lbs, dry 1lbs less, since the cork absorbs some water, but dries of fast.
But now I‘m thinking about a wooden Parallax or NeoClassic influenced board. Unfortunately I do not have the chance to see and feel one in reality, I would love to get some information about the bottom contours. I have already seen some Parallax ones, but no from a NeoClassic.
So if anybody could make some bottom pics including a ruler, I would appreciate very much; although you ususlly can not copy every detail into a HWS.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
View attachment 35670 View attachment 35671 Hello,
I‘m new to Jamboards, 58 years old, live in Germany and started surfing late at the age of 40, the first about 15 years, I surfed only during summer vacation, so finally I would rate myself as an old early intermediate, if not late beginner. My „homespot“ is Arrifana, Portugal (for those who know, only the beach, the famous point works only from 1,5 to double overhead and is not the right spot for me… :)
Since some years I build my boards out of wood, mostly balsa.
Two of my latest boards are both heavily influenced by CJ Nelsons boards.
I adapted a Colapintail in 8‘0 and a Haven 9‘4 into wood and cork and love them both. The 9‘4 is my actual favorite as you can see in enclosed pics. If wet it way about 13-14 lbs, dry 1lbs less, since the cork absorbs some water, but dries of fast.
But now I‘m thinking about a wooden Parallax or NeoClassic influenced board. Unfortunately I do not have the chance to see and feel one in reality, I would love to get some information about the bottom contours. I have already seen some Parallax ones, but no from a NeoClassic.
So if anybody could make some bottom pics including a ruler, I would appreciate very much; although you ususlly can not copy every detail into a HWS.
Your shop is amazing. Very impressive work.

heavymetalshop

Nov 29, 2020
Venice Beach, CA
ahoy @Bodhi1502

so I'm 2 sessions in on the 8'3 at my local beach break. Its been quite awesome here lately. glassy mornings, slightly offshore, 1-3 peaks.

The 8'3 does everything my 9'3 could do but in a smaller, more maneuverable package. Running a 9.25 1/4 from all the way forward in the box.

Cheaters, some noserides (but it's not really about that with this board) and so many hully rail turns, cutbacks, trim, glide. Bottom to top, slow down at the top then back down build up speed, repeat. Just simply the most fun board. Connecting tons of sections, making the most out of every wave. I have even scored a couple of close-out tubes and cheater-5 tubes, epic! So happy I sold my 9'3 and scored an 8'3.

So stoked!