Cj Nelson Boards.

ugoinright?

Sep 13, 2020
The OC Bubble
I took a video and sent it to Firewire as they wanted to see it, but it was hard to get a good shot. I’m out right now, but I’ll post it later.

I can concur. 9'6 Parallax has these small pressure dents all over the decks, size about 0.5 to 1.5 cm. There is a straight pressure dent about 1" wide and 5" long. No ideas where they come from but it's my other half's board. Can't take pictures anytime soon.

My 10' Sprout has no pressure dents. It's been 6 months surfing mostly Newport Pier, Bolsa Chica and Doheny up to about 7'.

Glide&Flow

Jun 1, 2021
CenCoastCa
Well, after being a Thunderbolt cheerleader, I have to say some of the shine wore off today.
Well that sucks and I'm glad you posted about it. There we have an example of the predicted negative outcome of the mass manufacturing side of this endless thundercat debate. Can't say I'm surprised, just bummed, especially at the response from Firewire. Doesn't sound like normal wear and tear to me, especially since you have other boards to compare it too. Sounds like your gonna try to forget about it and just keep enjoying how it rides. Wish I was as good at letting go of things like that.

Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
France
I took a video and sent it to Firewire as they wanted to see it, but it was hard to get a good shot. I’m out right now, but I’ll post it later.
I'll look forward to seeing the video or photos. Sounds like a construction problem, which can happen... but the trick is how a company responds to a problem.

Reactions: DJR

Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
San Clemente, CA
Here’s a shot, but dents don’t show well in photos. Board is rippled throughout deck.
676CE1C9-AA83-4324-A413-616CE55E44FB.jpeg

Last edited:

Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
France
Thanks for posuting the shot. Hard to say what's going on, but it doesn't look like the layout of normal pressures does it? Maybe a problem with the blank or the pvc layer....They didn't offer any type of explanation beyond "normal wear and tear" in person? That sounds more like written warantee language than surfshop language... Hope you get some resolution.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
Here’s a shot, but dents don’t show well in photos. Board is rippled throughout deck. View attachment 33944
That does not look good. Might want to reach out to CJ Nelson and Yu Sumitomo. They might like to see this. Firewire is run by bean counters. They will pass this off as you said normal wear. If other speak out they just might take Notice.
That is not normal If only some boards have this “not normal pressure dings “ Something went wrong in production. To me looks like the the shaped blank under the glass is shrinking. Perhaps they got a bunch of bad foam From a supplier. Maybe they went with a lighter foam? Just speculation on my part.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
Thanks for posuting the shot. Hard to say what's going on, but it doesn't look like the layout of normal pressures does it? Maybe a problem with the blank or the pvc layer....They didn't offer any type of explanation beyond "normal wear and tear" in person? That sounds more like written warantee language than surfshop language... Hope you get some resolution.
You hit the nail right on the head. Firewire protecting their bottom line.

Reactions: DJR

Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
San Clemente, CA
Get hot at some point?
No, board kept in bag when not surfing, and not kept in a hot car ever.
Its definitely not a normal pressure pattern, all the pressures are very small and deck looks like alligator skin. Also, a lot of the pressures are in the form of a straight line approx 3/4”-1” long. I’ve never seen pressures like this on any other board ever. Have no idea what have made them.