Cj Nelson Boards.

miscreant

May 20, 2016
Meanwhile, why do you have opinions about a board and technology you haven't ridden. How do you actually know that this board wouldn't feel better for you? It's been a craptacular last year for it, but have you done a demo day, borrowed a friend's, etc.? If your theory is "ride what feels good..." then maybe you should find out firsthand if it would be good for you.
Probably for the same reason I don’t try to boil an egg in cold water.

Would you try to go off roading in a Lamborghini Aventador S? Have you tried to?

miscreant

May 20, 2016
Miscreant says if it’s not a pig, it’s a dog. Lol
Not really. I mean, who am I to judge what you like? Who other than oneself is there to judge what one likes.

However, there are characteristics of a board I gravitate towards. The characteristics attract ME. Weight, momentum stuff like that...a cruise-y connected to the water type of thing.

hence the : cold water boil egg... off-road Lamborghini.

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Being the best HP long boarder, or the best competitive LARPer, imma take LARP.
HPLb is most definitely not something I am interested in but plenty of people still aspire to surf that way.

I related Ash’s experience merely to illustrate that the tech in that style of board does seem to feel different / have some advantage in the eyes of someone who’s a good enough surfer to have an informed opinion.

I might not like his style but he’s a much better surfer than I or probably anyone who comments on here is

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
Yep, he seems to love them and they seemed to have stoked the fires for him a bit too.

On the flipside, I know a couple of people who have owned, then sold a few TBs, so really it does just boil down to what @miscreant is getting at really, it's just what floats your boat at the end of the day. For many reading this, a TB would possibly form part of a more traditional quiver, with customs/handshapes thrown in the mix. For others, maybe not.

I will add though - my first board was a 'popout' i.e. it was from a mould. These boards are definitely not popouts.

I still can't jive with the industry thing though.... I quote: '.....strategic alliance to accelerate global growth':

Firewire Acquires Longboard Company Carve Sports | Shop-Eat-Surf

Maybe I'm too sentimental, but I like the fact that surfing has always been an outlier (pun intended) in industry and in cultural terms. The growing commodification and, as a side point in many ways, the gentrification of surfing grates me and I can't help that.

I know @ShipFixer may say this is off-topic, but for some of us 'who' makes the boards is more important than the 'how' and for others, they couldn't give two shits either way. It's a discussion forum built around individual opinions, all different, that's what makes it interesting. No-one is 'wrong'.

Last edited:

RockyIsland

Feb 1, 2021
Phillip Island
95% of surfing is paddling or walking if your on a long point break.
Due to my current work circumstances I have ended up with half of my quiver on the Island and the other half on the West coast (bells area)....its worked out randomly that my PU stuff is on the west coast and I have 3 Thunderbolt on the Island. I surf 2 to 3 times a week these days after 40 years of 6 days a week as basically my shoulder ligaments are worn out.
So been doing a comparison lately surfing thunderbolts for a week and then PU for a week.
It seems the Thunderbolt bolt boards no matter the model just paddle way better, go through chop and mush better when paddling and my shoulders don't ache afterwards.
I was worried I was drinking the Cool Aid so did the comparison
Mind you rode a variety of craft during this time all with various degrees of inbuilt performance and haven't ridden the same board in the two techs so its more an intuitive opinion than scientific and I am only talking about paddling which at my age is now is a major consideration.
Going to be hard to sell thunderbolt to the Hipsters as Logging is now more a fashion statement in Oz than actually a fun and functional way to surf.
Lines up full of Kooks with no leg ropes who take off and just soul arch and haven't a clue about making a log work. People I know who were riding logs 20 years ago are going back to High performance mals. Lots of crew down here riding the Gem and raving about its flex and speed.
I think my Parrallax is the best paddling board I have ever used but still love the rail sensitivity of my Creme Fluer and Gato Heroi PLaydate.
My 2 cents worth

SMUKES

Jun 23, 2009
USA California
IMG_20210608_194907.jpg

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
PNW between here and there
Been some good contributions on this thread....and hard to argue with a concensus these boards are putting grins on folks faces...why the hell else would we surf?

The common underpinning is obviously the appreciative characteristics of a well built, light board with pop - excellent paddler, highly responsive to minor adjustments, fast down the line.

Makes one wonder how many of the fans have ridden customs with similar properties, vs a Nelson being their first exposure to light and highly responsive..

the LB's I ride achieve this by using either Red or Blue US Blanks, depending on length, and glassed 4/4,4 in S cloth...highly responsive with plenty of pop, have yet to break one in Oregon winter beachbreak, have yet to lend one to someone who didn't rave about how responsive and fast they were to ride.

so, more than one way to get there...conversely, with the wait time for a custom from the majority of shapers these days...not surprising the Nelson's are flying off the shelf..

Last edited:

Night Wing

May 25, 2021
Southeast Texas
While I wait patiently for my 9'3" Parallax in Thunderbolt Red to arrive in the first week of July, I have a question for those of you who own this 9'3" model in Red constuction.

Do you know the actual physical weight of the 9'3" Parallax? Any replies will be greatly appreciated.