Cj Nelson Boards.

West81

Jun 28, 2021
Hollandia
Based on some JC Neslon video's I have been installing bigger fins in my boards and so far it seems to work out.
Slowly starting to come to the realisation I have been underfinning my boards for decades.

Just got a new 9,75 Greenough 4A for my 8' Outlier

Eh_frame

Dec 31, 2020
Philly
Based on some JC Neslon video's I have been installing bigger fins in my boards and so far it seems to work out.
Slowly starting to come to the realisation I have been underfinning my boards for decades.

Just got a new 9,75 Greenough 4A for my 8' Outlier
Wow, that seems like a ton of fin. I also lean towards underfinning everything. What effect are noticing from running that bigger 4a?

West81

Jun 28, 2021
Hollandia
I have yet to surf it, but will post an update as soon as I do.

I have the 10,5 parallax fin (the biggest) in my 9'3 Parallax board (the smallest). Perfect fit. CJ surfs the 10,5 in the 9'6 board.
There is a video where he installs a 9,5 fin in the 7'6 Outlier.

I am starting to wonder if fin sizing should be related to surfer size and surfing purposes and not neccesarily just the board dimensions. Like when I step back to initiate a turn its not really relevant if the nose of the board (sticking out of the water anyway) is 7, 8 or 9 feet away.

All a bit of a grey area as everything is related obviously but I think that for my size and weight and the amount of pressure I put on my back foot I should surf larger fins. If I want to change specific elements of the performance I should search out different fin templates.

For singles I have been getting good results with somewhat narrow-tipped and upright templates. Fins that take a lot of surface all the way to the tip tend to be very "holdy"

I dont really know. Just been surfing well on larger fins

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I have yet to surf it, but will post an update as soon as I do.

I have the 10,5 parallax fin (the biggest) in my 9'3 Parallax board (the smallest). Perfect fit. CJ surfs the 10,5 in the 9'6 board.
There is a video where he installs a 9,5 fin in the 7'6 Outlier.

I am starting to wonder if fin sizing should be related to surfer size and surfing purposes and not neccesarily just the board dimensions. Like when I step back to initiate a turn its not really relevant if the nose of the board (sticking out of the water anyway) is 7, 8 or 9 feet away.

All a bit of a grey area as everything is related obviously but I think that for my size and weight and the amount of pressure I put on my back foot I should surf larger fins. If I want to change specific elements of the performance I should search out different fin templates.

For singles I have been getting good results with somewhat narrow-tipped and upright templates. Fins that take a lot of surface all the way to the tip tend to be very "holdy"

I dont really know. Just been surfing well on larger fins
Of course fin size is related to surfer size and the power in their style of surfing, not just board design.

A burly surfer can overpower a small fin, too much fin will make a board too stiff for a small surfer.

Fin shape will dictate hold in steeper waves but also the lines the board draws. More rake tends to give more drawn out turns, more upright fins want to pivot more so it partly depends on the waves you surf and how you want the board to feel as well.

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
FWIW I have a 9” fin in my outlier and I am only 5’6 and 150lbs so assuming you are a bigger chap than me, a 9.75 doesn’t seem out of the way.

Hodaddy81

Feb 2, 2021
Jersey
9’1 Apex.
Kinda obsessed at the moment. I was a little nervous about the amount of volume that they packed into a 9’1. But somehow it works really well. Very nimble on the tail and mid part of the board. I can’t say that the conditions where the best for nose stuff but stable for what was available. It’s definitely more of a performance style noserider which is pretty refreshing. Weight is very well balanced. I am not a fan of heavy logs and this is on the lighter side. But somehow dense? The finish is different then the other CJ’s I have had. But whatever it is it moves through the water with less to no resistance and rips. Edge in the tail is a nice touch. Media results to follow.

Attachments

• 50B061FE-A71A-4052-976C-116622A4C614.jpeg
    50B061FE-A71A-4052-976C-116622A4C614.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 35

Members online