Cities to Surf and raise a family in that are somewhat affordable?

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
As the original poster can I suggest we keep it mellow and friendly. I appreciate all the comments. I learned a few things but it mostly solidified what I already knew. I will say through my research there are quite a few places within a 30 minute drive to the beach within my budget.. and 30 minutes is close enough for me.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
Leve it to peasy to start a shit fight. N fact there are places that you can live close to the Coast for less then 1 million.
looked at a place that is only about 10 minutes from the Beach. I could ride my bike to a nice little break. A better surf spot is about 15 minutes away driving on A1A.
Cocoa Beach also is an opportunity. Big boom in the 1960s then a bust when the space program took a hit. Pretty rundown lots of drug related crime. Looks like now it is turning around.

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
PNW between here and there
as to those precious ocean views...house we raised the kids in, morning coffee was at the kitchen table with an expansive view of the harbor and inside reef of Mavericks...these days, a 2M house blocks that view.

all a matter of value choices...if you want what everyone else wants, better dig deep...conversely, willing to change up some priorities and take a different approach...

Spacious ocean view home for 550K available right now a 5 min walk and overlooking one of my fave lineups in OR, within a town of 6,000 folks...decent pads a 5 min drive for 400K...surf can range from ultra friendly LB fun to how deep or big are you willing to go ...to this day, still easy to find a fun session in the area by yourself, more likely you'll be looking for a few friends to surf with...and it all comes with 100" of rain a year, great salmon and steelhead fishing, nearest city an hour away, major airport two hours...

all about choices..
20171107_140308.jpg
IMG_20140715_195730 (1).jpg
pc.jpg

Last edited:

KDenning

May 14, 2015
Ventura, CA
Clowns still not getting it.
I know this is supposed to be a parody asshole account or whatever but I don’t think anyone asked if it helped to have a good amount of money to live close to an ocean. I think that’s implied.

Appreciate the input though! I’m sure it helped a lot of members that are in the same boat.

dubstar

Nov 9, 2019
Numerous places under a million here in Long Beach, New York within walking / biking distance. The main issues are:

1) the current bidding war necessitates that you must have an inside track or be able to pay above market
2) taxes
3) most of the lower end properties will require extensive work
4) luck

ekim

Oct 14, 2015
Tried to move to Australia in the 90's. Wife at the time was from OZ but she wanted to stay here? Now I'm stuck 1 1/2 hour drive to the beach. My vote is Alaska.

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
As an update to the socal situation. We put offers on 4 houses in the past week. 2 went for over $65k over the already overly inflated asking price. 1 was accepted for our budget but needed major work, which between 2 kids, full time job etc... i dont want that.. I would rather surf if i have free time.

and lastly we found a house 2 blocks from our house not yet on market. its smaller than we want but immaculate. Also over budget but not by much... I think we are going for it. 17 minutes from my front door to oceanside harbor parking lot... which is awesome.

fingers crossed... because if this one does not happen i think we are out of the game and looking for a rental.

stressssss