Cities to Surf and raise a family in that are somewhat affordable?

txgrinder

Jan 11, 2020
Surfside Beach, TX
@Macilious Chris - you're spot on with that Sandy reference! From Seaside Park all the way up to Sandy Hook, everything retained 100% of value +! (BTW - Epic meeting you that day in Avon! That got me super stoked, such a small world!!!)

OP @mightyrime - Check out St Augustine FL if you're willing to leave CA, we just settled here. I spent 18 months doing exactly what you're doing with a massive spreadsheet tracking all the pros and cons, social/financial/misc. We spent time up and down the coast of CA meeting with realtors from Mill Valley area all the way down to La Jolla, and out east from Portland ME suburbs all the way down to Palm Beach county. After meeting with probably upwards of 50 realtors and nearly 2 years of searching we found the spot and it's perfect. Good weather, good waves, good people, good schools (best in FL, fair compared to New England standards), good value. Win-Win.

And you have a governor that is kicking ass. I love St. A....it is on our radar as well.

txgrinder

Jan 11, 2020
Surfside Beach, TX
As an update to the socal situation. We put offers on 4 houses in the past week. 2 went for over $65k over the already overly inflated asking price. 1 was accepted for our budget but needed major work, which between 2 kids, full time job etc... i dont want that.. I would rather surf if i have free time.

and lastly we found a house 2 blocks from our house not yet on market. its smaller than we want but immaculate. Also over budget but not by much... I think we are going for it. 17 minutes from my front door to oceanside harbor parking lot... which is awesome.

fingers crossed... because if this one does not happen i think we are out of the game and looking for a rental.

stressssss
This is the part that sucks. My wife and I finally realized that home ownership is put up on a pedestal. You will always have to pay for a roof over your head....own the house outright? Try skipping out on those property taxes. Rental got you down? Find a better place or do a boat...or an RV....or van it. Our RV spot in O'Side that we had for years went away with new ownership who saw the dollar signs. Same thing when we found a terrific spot in Vista. Dicks. But shit happens. Rentals are as much if not more than a mortgage, but no taxes. I dunno....a good friend came out with a slogan a few years back that hits home. Find your happy. What is happy for you isn't always happy for others and their expectations or ideas on how should we then live.

My family has done it all from a huge house on 15,000 acres, small bungalow/condo in O'Side, to full time RVing it. In the end, it's just a roof over your head. Wanna surf more and live your life? Maybe forego the house thing and focus on lifestyle stuff. It all depends on what makes your life fulfilling to YOU. I was VERY happy FT RVing and being a literal 5 minute bike ride away from the Boulevard (when it was good) and the Harbor. I could have died that way in old age. But, as it goes in Socal, we got priced out of even that. $2400 a month for an RV spot is a big harsh on the mellow of RV living LOL. Anyways, I am just rambling. Hope it works out, but if not, St. A is a good place, as it has been said. Stress on the body and those around you is NOT worth any endeavor, IMO. Been there, done that.

Last edited:

TurtleTime

Dec 25, 2018
San Clemente
pretty depressing thread. maybe it would help if people stayed in the areas they were from? OP moved to socal 4yrs ago and is wondering why prices are high? no offense but...isn't that part of the problem? i've pretty much given up on the idea of ever being able to own a home here, i'm 50. those 55+ places look promising but the leases on land are $$. i don't know who all these people are with tons of $$$ buying places, literally everywhere. shit my mom just moved from 20 min outside of reno and they had multiple offers and got $30K over asking, in the middle of really nowhere you want to be....

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
I scored my house by swinging by and saying hi to the owner. I told him I'd put an offer on it and he said something like, "are you gonna want me to fix the roof on the garage?" I said if you take my offer you can leave it as is. Helped that he was a fellow motorcyclist and I was on my bike. Just got lucky? Good luck to you.

You will always have to pay for a roof over your head....own the house outright?

pretty depressing thread. maybe it would help if people stayed in the areas they were from? OP moved to socal 4yrs ago and is wondering why prices are high? no offense but...isn't that part of the problem? i've pretty much given up on the idea of ever being able to own a home here, i'm 50. those 55+ places look promising but the leases on land are $$. i don't know who all these people are with tons of $$$ buying places, literally everywhere. shit my mom just moved from 20 min outside of reno and they had multiple offers and got $30K over asking, in the middle of really nowhere you want to be...
Yes! It may be depressing in the short term, but we have been here before. When the bottom fell out of the market in 2008, folks were putting their keys into the mailbox and walking away. Enter, the Grand Poohbah of investments, Warren Buffet and he said there was great value in all this suppressed real estate. It was two weeks until all these bootlicking hero worshiping hedge funds started to pour in and gobble up all these deals to pull in all the inventory. Unfortunately, most of the normal working folks were not privy to these deals and got left out of the mix. There is something really immoral going on and if it wasn't something as essential as housing I wouldn't care. It's a rigged game now so if you are looking to be a house slave, have at it. I don't see that much has changed since that time except fewer people are owning more of it.

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
y wife and I finally realized that home ownership is put up on a pedestal. You will always have to pay for a roof over your head....own the house outright?
When push comes to shove, we are nothing more than "stewards" of whatever property we are living in. My taxes and insurance now dwarf my mortgage payments and those will never go away. Living here without fire insurance would be an act of insanity not to mention the stress and worry. The property taxes I pay go into a black hole other than the Fire Department whom are essential here. It's really a stupid system all around. Roads are full of pot holes and nothing has been repaired in over 5 years, but yet we still get that bill.

PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey CMC
When push comes to shove, we are nothing more than "stewards" of whatever property we are living in. My taxes and insurance now dwarf my mortgage payments and those will never go away. Living here without fire insurance would be an act of insanity not to mention the stress and worry. The property taxes I pay go into a black hole other than the Fire Department whom are essential here. It's really a stupid system all around. Roads are full of pot holes and nothing has been repaired in over 5 years, but yet we still get that bill.
Yeah...not true and limited view. If you're smart you buy in the down market and hold on...long enough to pass it on to your kids. I know too many guys that didn't take hold of their parent's beach property for dumb fuck reasons Lowest mortgage rate you can get..or pay cash. Enjoy it for your lifetime and the rest is on them. Think ahead. Lead, follow or get the fuck out of the way.

Last edited:

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
yeah man, wish all you mtn. folks well this dry season. my friend is in trinity co. and has endured some harrowing shit the last few years.
Thanks for that. It was really bad last year. We were caught between two major wild fires and the air quality was horrendous. Did all my brush cutting already and hopefully will be enough. Installed some roof sprinklers on the house and all the out buildings. Unfortunately, all of California has to be prepared. You have to think like a fire fighter these days.

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
Good article. I remember that last time we were here. The market was getting some downright silly prices. I had a piece of property in escrow all of a sudden the market just died overnight and the developer got cold feet and pulled out of escrow. It was dead for the next 8 years recovering from the last bust. We will see what happens next.