Cities to Surf and raise a family in that are somewhat affordable?

takedown

Jun 26, 2017
Eugene, OR
@mightyrime have you looked at any of the mobile homes in leucadia? I don't know if it would work for you because you don't get much land, but I've been in several that have been renovated and they end up being pretty nice little homes, blocks from beacons. The land lease is not cheap, but maybe it would be worth it as a middle ground between rent and buying. Then maybe when things cool off you could sell and buy somewhere else. I thought of it when I saw a friend of mine who sells in that area had posted about one she just did a deal on. Another friend rented one for several years and it was really nice to visit him there. I'd live in one in a heartbeat if I was down south. GL!

GETWET

Aug 14, 2008
oahu
Hang in there.
My buddy retired to Oceanside about 12years ago from the bay area. About 15 min drive to the Harbor n the Pier. Maybe 20 minutes to Terra Mar and another 10 to Cardiff.
I would visit him frequently. Beautiful place to chase surf. There is a good chance the prices will become more reasonable.
He bought low, it went up, up, up, Then it came back more realistic. Now its back up.
Wait it out with a rental is not a bad choice.

Good Luck

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
here is a good chance the prices will become more reasonable.
He bought low, it went up, up, up, Then it came back more realistic. Now its back up.
I don't have any crystal ball, but I have experienced about a half dozen or so real estate booms since the mid 1970's and they seem to fit a particular pattern. At first, it's like a world gone mad and a buying frenzy, then the prices start going way beyond most folks budgets, then if interest rates start to to creep up, buyers start getting cold feet and then the bottom drops out. My idea is more of buying when the prices are lower even if interest rates are higher. Once you get a mortgage you can refinance later at a lower rate. Perhaps that is not happening at the moment, but nothing can continue climbing and climbing. One caveat though, they never go back down to where they were. They seem to settle back somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:

ekim

Oct 14, 2015
I scored my house by swinging by and saying hi to the owner. I told him I'd put an offer on it and he said something like, "are you gonna want me to fix the roof on the garage?" I said if you take my offer you can leave it as is. Helped that he was a fellow motorcyclist and I was on my bike. Just got lucky? Good luck to you.

txgrinder

Jan 11, 2020
Surfside Beach, TX
Texas. Corpus, south padre or surfside / Galveston. Don’t tell anyone else... but it’s easy living. There is cheap land. The surf gets fun (when it’s not blown out) and when surf is blown, fishing is good.

This pretty much....and I ain't advertising it. So much of where we choose to live can affect personal lifestyle beliefs as well....and that can be a major plus or a major minus.

SMUKES

Jun 23, 2009
USA California
Tried to move to Australia in the 90's. Wife at the time was from OZ but she wanted to stay here? Now I'm stuck 1 1/2 hour drive to the beach. My vote is Alaska.
I did the same thing lol. Lived in Cronulla.

Tried to move to Australia in the 90's. Wife at the time was from OZ but she wanted to stay here? Now I'm stuck 1 1/2 hour drive to the beach. My vote is Alaska.