Christenson Osprey

yella

Mar 24, 2022
Brisbane
Has anyone surfed / owned a Christenson Osprey?

- I am looking at getting one, but have to order it from interstate. Which means I can't handle it in person.

I am keen to understand wave range, wave type etc. Average waves in my local area are in the waist to chest-high (2-3ft) range, medium waves (i.e. not slop but also not heavy reef break).

I am wondering if the Osprey would work as a daily driver+, for when conditions are average (2-3ft medium) through to good and excellent (headhigh+, hollower and heavier waves).

I am aware that it has a narrower outline, and also that it has a lot of nose rocker.

Sky

Aug 30, 2020
Southern California
I’m pretty sure the Christenson Osprey is based off of Skip Fryes’ K Model. I have two (not shaped by Skip), a 7’4” and an 8’0”. I typically like to ride them when it gets bigger, but I find myself riding the 7’4” sometimes when the conditions are average and around 3-4’. The 8’0” is reserved for bigger days when I want to get in earlier. I’d call the board more of a semi gun and should be used in more punchier, walled up conditions. I’ve found them to be pretty reliable though in most waves as long as there is some juice. Personally I would rather ride a longboard when its 3’ or less, so no I don’t think the osprey would be your best option for a daily driver. Definitely a good wave board.

P.S. Thruster setups on the K Model is the best way to go IMO

kvg

May 24, 2021
Bay Area, CA
My experience differs from Sky's-- I have a 6'5 Osprey Twin and it's been a great daily driver. I use it in waist to HH waves with a lot of success. My locals are mostly beach breaks.

The only tricky part is that the twin seems to have a smaller sweet spot if you really want to crank it.

yella

Mar 24, 2022
Brisbane
My experience differs from Sky's-- I have a 6'5 Osprey Twin and it's been a great daily driver. I use it in waist to HH waves with a lot of success. My locals are mostly beach breaks.

The only tricky part is that the twin seems to have a smaller sweet spot if you really want to crank it.
thanks @kvg. I decided to get one. Very happy so far. I have only had it out in waist to head high so far, in moderate waves. Looking forward to seeing how it goes on the bigger days.
The board seems to just work. The extra length is good for my style, but not too much volume thanks to the narrow width and down rails. Heaps of thickness through the middle too.
Wish I had onto this sort of board sooner. Spent too much time on hybrid, fish shapes (short, wider, fatter)