Channel Islands Midlength - Devon Howard

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by JMJackFish, Jan 5, 2020.

1. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I have a takayama Howard and should get the chance to ride the CI when my friend gets his.

up front I think the two big differences are the the wide point is a little further forward on the tak and it has no concave on the bottom being roll into a big panel vee. The CI has a “tri plane hull” And some concave.
    From
    My Standpoint that’s no Bad thing. The tak is lovely if the wave has push and a decent face to draw line in but it isn’t great at generating speed on those race the section mushy days. I’d previously thought the same Board with concaves in the vee panels would be awesome. Seems Like the CI addresses that issue.
    Marketing genius aside. Devon wouldn’t Put his name on a bad board!

DJR and DanSan like this.
  2. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Soquel,CA
    Jory.true that.
    Im looking forward to your report..
    And perhaps bruce give board details of his board
    Im sure he did..but i forgot..

3. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    He - Devon - also had a hand in the design of FCD's Huevo Ranchero and those things Definitely work.

DJR likes this.
  4. dr flavors

dr flavors Active Member

Jul 21, 2019
    ca
    im sure brands love having dh on their middys. guys got a great sense when to be where on a wave

but.. i wouldnt geek to hard onit. its just another version of the ca egg and to vets point, all the extensive design r&d is just marketing bs. at this point in board design how much is really left to nuance?

i wont be on one. not cuz i dont think it wouldnt go. like bj said, its really hard to make a board that doesnt work to some degree.

its more that with so many fine board builders about, ci falls of the want list for me. that doesnt take away from the cool thing of how many guys get stoked out on the lines an egg will draw. and if ci makes it happen for them well all the better.

maybe we get a few shortboarders to come over to the light. i am all for any board that saves my eyes from seeing guys hopping around like a squirrel trying to hump a walnut. cuz you know well, if its a ci its gotta rip.

now if we can get a vid of dane or bobby or tc on one i might change my mind...

Planktom and WesCantDress like this.
  5. japsom

japsom Active Member

Jan 8, 2016
    USA California
    watching Dane ride a thick lizzy compared to JH long fish actually got me way more interested in the fish. Not that I can surf like him but like the way he cranks turns out of it.

hankster and dr flavors like this.
  6. dr flavors

dr flavors Active Member

Jul 21, 2019
    ca
    ha. been awhile since i saw that edit. dane def not a single fin guy. too bad theres not more footage of the jh. something in me has wanted to give a 6-10 long fish a go for a while now

japsom likes this.
  7. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    The Channel Islands thing is actually a tiny turn off for me. Especially as the Europe ones are made in pukas which sometimes has dodgy glassing. It’s the fact that Devon has given it his stamp of approval and also that it’s easily available in the uk.
    Whilst there’s plenty of others I’d be interested in getting an egg from (mitsven for a start) most of them aren’t readily over here without a big shipping price hike.
    Plenty of our shapers will make an egg but it’s not gonna be as refined as the CI as they won’t have seen many proper SD ones to reference.
    Does that make sense?

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Jory, I hear you.

When Bend was glassing most of the CI's you could get a good one just by making sure it was a tint and thus glassed by Fabrice. Pukas... way too hit and miss in my opinion.

Eggs out of the San Diego area are about as good as it gets in my opinion. But, (sorry to distract from the CI focus here) if you want a great egg shaped in Europe - Marc Billion at ATAO surfboards in Brittany. Great shaper, great glasser, fantastic person. I have several friends who shape for a living, and who make great boards in different genres, but for an egg in Europe... he's really a great shaper. Should have kept my last 7'6", that was hands down the best egg I've ever ridden.

9. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Interesting, I’ll check him out - not heard of him before!!

10. Planktom

Planktom Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK