Can I get lucky

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by dsquare, Aug 3, 2020.

1. dsquare

dsquare Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    Dane Perlee / Osprey surfboards has finished my 10' board. Shipping to Kauai is... expensive. It would actually be cheaper to fly to San Diego, pick up the board, and fly home.

Are there any Jamboarders who are flying over to the islands anytime soon who wouldn't mind an extra board? Of course I would cover the luggage fee.

Tenfooter likes this.
  2. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    What model did you get? I picked up a 9’9” Sped Demon last week. Going to ride it for the first time tomorrow morning. Amazing all the different contours on the bottom, he can really shape!!
    We’ve had to cancel our trip to Kauai twice now due to the quarantine. Still trying to get over in the fall depending on how things go, but haven’t rescheduled anything yet.

3. dsquare

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    Speed Demon but I asked for more 'nose-riding friendly' tweaks. I'm stoked to get it.

4. dsquare

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
  5. Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    What tweaks? Curious how it compares to the one I have. What fin do you plan on running in it?

6. dsquare

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    I'm not sure how he has shaped it exactly. Would need to look at another speed demon to see. Any chance you would want to pick it up and haul it to the airport for me to drop on Hawaiian Air Cargo?

And I'm going to run his nose-rider fin... but might pick up a demon fin or grab a Greenough 4a to see how that works.

7. Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    It’s a pretty good haul to Birds and then the airport from where I live, so I’m hoping you can find an alternative.
    I bought mine used without fin, so I’m trying it with a 9.75” Volan Greenough 4A. I haven’t seen his Speed Demon or Noserider fin, so don’t know how they compare. I’ve never had a board that a Greenough didn’t work at least decent though.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  8. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    "I’ve never had a board that a Greenough didn’t work at least decent though." Marc Andreini said to me once that any board will work better with a GG template fin.
    People fail to realize how much GG fins advanced surfing. Right up there with any inovation in the modern era. All Hail, GG!

Andrew Johnson likes this.
  9. Gretsch

Gretsch Member

Aug 31, 2008
    USA
    I rode a Speed Demon in San Diego last summer and my conclusion was that I simply may not be the astronaut for that spacecraft. I'm surfing a lot more regularly now and have access to my friend's Speed Demon....maybe I'll give it another whirl.

My daily driver is a Dane shaped 9'8" trad-noserider. It's always hard not to paddle that thing out. I love it so.

Best of luck getting your new baby home!!

10. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

Jeezus, ain’t that the truth. All hail indeed. It’s almost impossible to overestimate his influence and impact on surfing. But because it’s “just a fin”, the fin’s importance is continually underappreciated. I have a hard time parting with fins—that I even moderately like—for this very reason. They’re the best tools and GG is the Skil of fins.

Best of luck getting your new board asap DSquare! Love to see photos when you get the chance. Dane is a spectacular surfer and an underrated shaper.