Cameras that are good for shooting old school 8/16mm film look?

Skeg1

Oct 11, 2021
Texas
Can anyone recommend a mid priced camera/cameras that are good for shooting an old school film look?

shredsickgnar

Aug 7, 2021
Canada
I just shot some 8mm and 16mm film this week! I've been meaning to do it for 3 or 4 years now.

I know you're asking about cameras that can be processed to get that look and I think most new cameras will be fine if you set them up correctly and apply the right processing/filters. I don't think anything really does it just out of the box.

However if you want to shoot real film. I'd recommend getting a Bolex P1 for 8mm off eBay. It has a great lens that is long enough for shooting surfing. If the camera works great, if not get a CLA and it will run like a Swiss clock(or camera) for about $200. A roll of Black and White FomaPan 100 is about $20 and that will get you about 5.5 minutes worth of footage. Processing and Scanning costs depend on your lab but plan on that roll costing $40-60 to get developed and scanned.

16mm cameras can be a bit cheaper but the film and processing is much more expensive. I have a Bolex H16 that I got for less than $100

Skeg1

Oct 11, 2021
Texas
I just shot some 8mm and 16mm film this week! I've been meaning to do it for 3 or 4 years now.

I know you're asking about cameras that can be processed to get that look and I think most new cameras will be fine if you set them up correctly and apply the right processing/filters. I don't think anything really does it just out of the box.

However if you want to shoot real film. I'd recommend getting a Bolex P1 for 8mm off eBay. It has a great lens that is long enough for shooting surfing. If the camera works great, if not get a CLA and it will run like a Swiss clock(or camera) for about $200. A roll of Black and White FomaPan 100 is about $20 and that will get you about 5.5 minutes worth of footage. Processing and Scanning costs depend on your lab but plan on that roll costing $40-60 to get developed and scanned.

16mm cameras can be a bit cheaper but the film and processing is much more expensive. I have a Bolex H16 that I got for less than $100
Yeah I actually have filmed with the real thing and I still have two cameras and projectors as well . I love filming with them and watching on the projectors . It’s purely the cost of it .. the film and processing. The only reason for looking into modern equipment. Once you have what you need there is no more expense , just the camera laptop,and editing software ,but to say I won’t miss using the real thing,I most definitely will! Thanks for your reply and keep enjoying filming! Also I’ve had Bolex P1 and I P2 in the past . Great little cameras,P1 is the better of the two though!