CA Gold Surf Auction

Discussion in 'Longboard Surf Buy/Sell/Trade' started by m8r, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    Any board I’ve sent for their consideration through their app (and I’ve sent them some beautiful valuable vintage boards) I’ve never had any contact back from them at all. Oh well, their consignment fees were probably too high anyway.

MarkA likes this.
  2. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    And this ... 6C50D0F2-03F2-4A67-868F-A2A96A442007.jpeg

3. Surph

Surph Active Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Board is restored so those double logos are questionable, even length could be suspect depending on the level of restoration. Bing has the records on most of his serial numbers since provenance was not specific to this board at all.

Surfers journal showed Rarrick’s board skinning process and workshop. Wall of his workshop was all the original fiberglass with logos from his restorations and said he just creates new ones. Not even sure if this is even one of his restorations but just interesting to see the process.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    DJR likes this.
  4. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    Length is what caught my eye above all else
    Seemed so unlikely that it could be a one off maybe like mentioned ... and in a way that may devalue it as is the case with say sculptures or tribal art

biedny likes this.
  5. JMAC

JMAC Active Member

Tom Moss confirmed it was completely reshaped and was never that length to begin with. Sounds like fraud to me based on their description.

Oldmanparker, DJR and Lackosense like this.
  6. mgarbutt

mgarbutt Active Member

Apr 5, 2011
    USA Delaware
    These actions are all about a select group of people trying to keep board values high so they can profit. More than half the boards in these auctions have been restored to the point of not even being close to original. Most boards change hands within this select group and a few sold to outside customers that honestly have a lack of knowledge & don't know any better.

SurfOC, Makawaosurfer93, DJR and 2 others like this.
  7. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Many items you'd be better served to run the other way.

DJR likes this.
  8. 306Bing

306Bing Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2015
    OCNJ
    Here's a thread from Facebook that shows the board before Randy used the foam: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=classic bing surfboards&epa=SEARCH_BOX

Tom Moss "Restored" = returned to its original condition. Was this one? Not in my book, but it depends how you wish to define that term; it has not been defined or standardized in the surfing industry or among surfboard collectors. This board did not look like…Hide 11 Replies
    • [​IMG]
      Jesse McNamara
      Like you said looks great but when the auction company is daring you to find another one this size they are implying it’s rare when in reality it was completely reshaped and was never that length to begin with.
    • [​IMG]
      Jesse McNamara
      Thanks for your input Tom Moss
      [​IMG]

• [​IMG]
      Tom Moss
      When this board was originally made in about early August 1968, it was right at the end of the run for the DN Lightweight model. Starting that July, the length of this model had dropped down to 7' to 8', like this board.

• [​IMG]
      Tom Moss
      Jesse McNamara $2,000 to 4,000!!! Even with the enthusiastic marketing rap, I'll be surprised if it receives a bid higher than what a new board with a similar color scheme would cost. That's all it is.
    • [​IMG]
      Jesse McNamara
      The use of the 2 logos was questioned as well as the length.
      [​IMG]
      Randy Rarick
      As Tom pointed out above, by 1968 these boards were going short. This particular board was a combination of shaping designs. Sort of the front half was a standard Lightweight, the back half, a full tail with a deep "V". I will attach some pics of the board when I got it. It originally was an orange tint, that had faded to an off pink. Someone had attempted to fix the nose and did a lousy job and shortened it by a couple inches. I did a full "glass off" restoration on it, and re-tempated the nose with a standard Lightweight outline. The client I did it for, did not like the Nuuhiwa lettering and requested a '67 Lightweight logo along with the newer '68 logo, thus the unique dual logos. This was the shortest Lightweight I have ever worked on. Went with the tiger stripe design to give it some "pop" and was able to keep the

• Randy Rarick Bottom
      [​IMG]

• Randy Rarick Deck
      [​IMG]

Lackosense and DJR like this.
  9. waveslider619

waveslider619 Active Member

Sep 8, 2017
    SD
    Randys reply:

Randy Rarick
    Tom Moss
    Hey Tom, it might not be in original condition as a Bing, but it's still a Bing at heart! LOL

10. Sax-son

Sax-son Active Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Three Rivers, CA
    As a person who initially got into board restoration over 25 years ago, I am completely against the practice today. When I started doing it, it was because I didn't like some of the longboards that were coming out in the early 1980's. I tried a few and just didn't like them, they just didn't feel right. As a result, I started looking for boards that I knew were good riders. Spoons, lightweights, performers, etc. Although the selection was much better then than it is today, the ones that I found were in various states of condition. Short boards had been around for over ten years and unless some of these vintage boards had been stored in attacks, many were left lying around in back yards and on the side of houses. Yikes! I had come across a 1967 Roberts (performer clone) where the deck was almost mint, but the bottom was so sun burnt, that all the resin had been baked out and the cloth had curled up with the foam exposed. I had to strip off 2/3rds of the bottom fiberglass, re-sand the foam and re-laminate the bottom. It was far from an aesthetic restoration, but it did make it back into the water which is what I wanted.

The situation is completely different today. Today's surfboard shapers will give you pretty much what you want. You have many that are familiar with the vintage shapes and a knowledge of what was right and what was wrong with them as well. I would now much rather concentrate on new construction rather than rehabbing old vintage boards. Although I love the nostalgia of vintage surfboards, I am no longer in the market for them because they are so expensive and you would really require a good display situation or it is a waste of time and money in my opinion.

When I see vintage surfboards with a brand new looking color job exposing old stingers that are hazy, sunburnt, and pin shatters all over them, it just looks ugly to me now. It's like an elderly person who gets their hair dyed some extreme color, but it doesn't fit with the rest of their image.

If you have to have that old vintage board, buy the ones that are in the best condition possible. They will be the one that will retain their value. Restoring some old vintage stock board is not in your best interest(unless it's the one you had as a kid or something similar)and move on to something that is brand new. Today's new builds are tomorrows vintage boards. Just take care of them.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020 at 11:06 AM
    SurfOC and Makawaosurfer93 like this.