CA Gold Surf Auction

Discussion in 'Longboard Surf Buy/Sell/Trade' started by m8r, Jul 22, 2020.

1. m8r

m8r Active Member

Apr 8, 2014
    NC
    I stumbled across this today.

CA Gold Surf Auction

Too rich for my blood, but what I really dig are some of the cool details & stories that go with a few of these boards (Diffenderfer Balsa Hanalei Special perhaps?!).
    And of course, plenty of drool worthy photos to peruse.

Enjoy

SurfOC and kpd73 like this.
  2. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island

I would be surfing both these boards.

3. JMJackFish

JMJackFish Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    28, 36, 37... dreams

4. MarkA

MarkA New Member

Jun 21, 2019
    San Fiego
    Love when you see a board you sold for $250 6 years ago. Lot #7. No way is that board a 8.5 out of 10. still has the horrible but functional solarez job I did on the smashed tail. $2000 - $4000 estimate seems a little high. The Lis and Pavel are pretty rad!

5. Lackosense

Lackosense Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Rockaway, NY
    this auction is notorious for categorizing board conditions improperly. One of the last auctions had a full glass off restored Bing DN Ltwt which even had an added resin tiger striping as part of the restoration. It was listed as all original and un-restored.

JMAC and MarkA like this.
  6. poidog

poidog Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Maryland
    Draw blood on that Buzzy Trent.

7. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    I sold a guy my '67 Bing Nuuhiwa pintail lightweight with a floral deck, original fin, and beautiful condition, for $2000. The guy said it was going on display in his restaurant. Then, several months later, there it was, sold at the California Gold Surf Auction for $3200. I've been unable to get even a couple of original and very good Lightning Bolts into that auction.

8. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    Number 24 has been listed on Facebook Marketplace at $800 for a week by Scott Bass. Maybe it's just to generate interest in the auction? Who knows.

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 2.33.52 PM.png

9. JMAC

JMAC Active Member

I question it being original...way too nice. Brewer didn’t have guys buying his boards back then for wall hangers, they got used.

I also question if it was shaped by Brewer. No signature. He usually signed them all either RB, R Brewer or Dick Brewer.

Oldmanparker and BrazilButtNut like this.
  10. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    Likely. I have a Tom Nellis LB gun in very good original condition, saw that a similar board that had been restored sold for around $4500 and contacted Scott with photos. He said he wasn't interested. I don't understand at all.