Burning a backpaddler

xaaronx

Jun 12, 2021
Wilmington, NC
@txgrinder

Hit the old proverbial nail on the head

No one ,,especially parents , teachers*..etc
Are showing guiding disciplining teaching their/these kids the proper way in anything
And the parents wonder why their kids suck or are treated nice
They didn’t invest their time love wisdom
In/with them..?simple

Look at the ebike thread
Same thing dumbass kids of all ages
Are the issue

* I’m a college professor… trust me when I say that the kids I teach that try to weasel
Out of doing the right thing
When I remind them they have a patient on the table and are counting on them to do their part right on the team
I'm skeptical of any "kids these days" observations.

" No one ,,especially parents , teachers*..etc
Are showing guiding disciplining teaching their/these kids the proper way in anything"

Old dudes have been saying that about younger folks for millennia. Sometimes it's true; sometimes we're just old.

xaaronx

Jun 12, 2021
Wilmington, NC
And some people just don't have the opportunity to learn all the stuff. I learned to surf alone; not really any close friends that surfed to teach me anything until my late teens. What I learned when I was younger was to avoid doing anything that consistently got older CB guys to yell at me. Never really got directly told anything about etiquette. Eventually I got to the point where I didn't seem to be pissing off anyone around me as far as I could tell. Helped when I switched from a sponge to surfing and it probably also helped when I got bigger than most of the older dudes.

But I'm sure I still have blind spots. I was in my 30s before I remember encountering the term "backpaddling". Probably because it wasn't ever something I did to others, so I never had anybody get pissed at me for it.

West81

Jun 28, 2021
Hollandia
I think most spots have this group of core locals that can (and will) do whatever they want. They paddle out, take any wave they desire and let the rest fight over whats left.

My number one project when paddling out at a new spot is figuring out who those guys are and stay well clear

DanSan

Jun 7, 2012
Soquel,CA
I'm skeptical of any "kids these days" observations.

" No one ,,especially parents , teachers*..etc
Are showing guiding disciplining teaching their/these kids the proper way in anything"

Old dudes have been saying that about younger folks for millennia. Sometimes it's true; sometimes we're just old.

If something is a truth, it never gets hurt old

txgrinder

Jan 11, 2020
Texas USA
I agree with what you say txgrinder, but rather then surf a peak or two down and surf sub par waves, I prefer to chase the kook out of the lineup and have him or her surf down the beach. I’m lucky enough to surf with a group of guys that respect each other and practice good surf etiquette and police the area we surf fairly well. Show respect and you’ll get all the waves you want and be welcomed to join in the fray.
Wish we'd have known each other when I was frequenting CA breaks. We would have had a great time.