Burning a backpaddler

DanSan

Jun 7, 2012
Soquel,CA
I’m with @Chilly Willy - confrontations that I am directly involved in in the surf make me feel eecky and definitely put a downer on my session vibe. I am too sensitive for my own good.

A few years ago I was surfing my favourite reef on a small fun day with 2 other crew out. We were sharing waves evenly in a stoke inducing session and having a great time. The wave breaks in an Aframe peak with a right and a left. Whilst I was paddling for a right wave and starting to pop up, along comes a SUP rider on the inside out of nowhere from the left who turns 180, calls ”my wave” and goes right. I thought f#ck it and kept going given I was all but up. Meanwhile she is behind me screaming obscenities and localised vitriol and that she had priority like we were in a surfing comp. To make things worse her voice was like fingers on a chalkboard. We had some words and then she paddled over to a different break but that one wave absolutely killed the vibe for me that day and I still feel a little eecky when thinking about it. I could have pulled back and let it slide that first time but I have seen her bully others and I must have been in a certain mindset that day.

Sometimes it only takes one silly moment to kill the vibe and I guess everyone approaches a surfing session differently. I always try to be friendly and hoot others and try to respect others and the lineup and this was a great learning experience for me… let some slide to maintain the vibe.
I’m sorry

She needs to get whacked
Peaky Blinders style

Last edited:

Macilious

Jun 15, 2010
We all have those moments... I try/tend not to get too worked up and rarely have issues, but it was a nice day and there were little 2' waves, so I paddle out and EVERY TIME I DROP there are the same 3 teen girls right there in the impact zone. So, once I don't go b/c they are in the way, then I almost hit one of them, and then the third time as I'm coming down one of them is padding into me, so she avoids the white water..... after that I paddled back and asked "What are you doing you F'in Dumbass?" in my best Red from that 70's show and instantly felt bad... until 5 mins later when they did exactly the same thing.

I think one of the issues is that no one teaches anyone the rules any more, there's no code or respect. I had a conversation with a non surf Mom that has 3 kids that surf and was a D1 softball player. Her kids are all punks and constantly get in the way. She was upset that people weren't nicer to her kids and that they didn't help them out... and then I asked her if she were playing softball with her friends and I dropped off 30 random kids that had no idea how to play softball and ran them out the field, would she run a clinic for them? Teach them the rules, how to pitch and catch? Or should I just let them run around the field and do whatever they want... Because that's exactly what happens and I don't paddle out to be a surf coach to 30 random puke kids.

txgrinder

Jan 11, 2020
Texas USA
We all have those moments... I try/tend not to get too worked up and rarely have issues, but it was a nice day and there were little 2' waves, so I paddle out and EVERY TIME I DROP there are the same 3 teen girls right there in the impact zone. So, once I don't go b/c they are in the way, then I almost hit one of them, and then the third time as I'm coming down one of them is padding into me, so she avoids the white water..... after that I paddled back and asked "What are you doing you F'in Dumbass?" in my best Red from that 70's show and instantly felt bad... until 5 mins later when they did exactly the same thing.

I think one of the issues is that no one teaches anyone the rules any more, there's no code or respect. I had a conversation with a non surf Mom that has 3 kids that surf and was a D1 softball player. Her kids are all punks and constantly get in the way. She was upset that people weren't nicer to her kids and that they didn't help them out... and then I asked her if she were playing softball with her friends and I dropped off 30 random kids that had no idea how to play softball and ran them out the field, would she run a clinic for them? Teach them the rules, how to pitch and catch? Or should I just let them run around the field and do whatever they want... Because that's exactly what happens and I don't paddle out to be a surf coach to 30 random puke kids.
best post award.

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey

Ding ding! Well stated.

txgrinder

Jan 11, 2020
Texas USA
This will always be a topic of discussion. The root cause of the issue is not lack of knowledge or etiquette, but rather, human beings are and can be really shitty. It takes aforethought and effort to rise above. It takes awareness of one's self and the desire to be better. I speak from experience. I have been that shitty human being and I have made it a life path for many years to rise above, be a man, and respect others. I am not boasting in any way, but just sharing my experience. Lack of humility and awareness will always segue into a person's behavior. This was one of the big reasons I quit surfing main spots and would just paddle down to the next peak that "wasn't as good" or whatever. It dawned on me that this behavior is no different than bad drivers and people who cut in line at the store. They simply DO NOT give a shit about you, me, or anyone else....so just avoid them because they will not change. I mean, if there is that day where beating someone near to death on the hot asphalt will make your life better, by all means LOL....but don't expect them to change. They won't. Guy Takayama was one of the first to teach me this...even with his annoying fucking aloha smile. Surf the lesser peak, keep your mouth shut (esp these days), and fuck that kook....cuz that is all they are and all they will ever be until THEY decide to change.

Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
San Clemente, CA
I agree with what you say txgrinder, but rather then surf a peak or two down and surf sub par waves, I prefer to chase the kook out of the lineup and have him or her surf down the beach. I’m lucky enough to surf with a group of guys that respect each other and practice good surf etiquette and police the area we surf fairly well. Show respect and you’ll get all the waves you want and be welcomed to join in the fray.

shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
Ayer Ma USA
I agree with what you say txgrinder, but rather then surf a peak or two down and surf sub par waves, I prefer to chase the kook out of the lineup and have him or her surf down the beach. I’m lucky enough to surf with a group of guys that respect each other and practice good surf etiquette and police the area we surf fairly well. Show respect and you’ll get all the waves you want and be welcomed to join in the fray.
Thank you!

DanSan

Jun 7, 2012
Soquel,CA
@txgrinder

Hit the old proverbial nail on the head

No one ,,especially parents , teachers*..etc
Are showing guiding disciplining teaching their/these kids the proper way in anything
And the parents wonder why their kids suck or are treated nice
They didn’t invest their time love wisdom
In/with them..?simple

Look at the ebike thread
Same thing dumbass kids of all ages
Are the issue

* I’m a college professor… trust me when I say that the kids I teach that try to weasel
Out of doing the right thing
When I remind them they have a patient on the table and are counting on them to do their part right on the team

Members online