Bummed on Vaquero

messierishome

Oct 15, 2020
San Francisco
Get a fowler V8
No wait…
Hey that rhymes
Hmmmm…
Have 2, 7 and your old 8'2. Trying to move the 7 never clicked with it. I did have a moment with that 8'2 and holding on to it for now but my main issue is they like a particular wave I don't get to surf much up here. I could see them doing great at steamers and pp

DanSan

Jun 7, 2012
Soquel,CA
Have 2, 7 and your old 8'2. Trying to move the 7 never clicked with it. I did have a moment with that 8'2 and holding on to it for now but my main issue is they like a particular wave I don't get to surf much up here. I could see them doing great at steamers and pp
I have a 8.0
“Particular wave”
I surfed mine in everything here
Best obe I had was a indicator wave
To the sand at dream inn
And
Had a couple nice fall days
At Linda mar and obstruct
Maybe I’m obtuse
I dunno
Works in almost anything for me

messierishome

Oct 15, 2020
San Francisco
I have a 8.0
“Particular wave”
I surfed mine in everything here
Best obe I had was a indicator wave
To the sand at dream inn
And
Had a couple nice fall days
At Linda mar and obstruct
Maybe I’m obtuse
I dunno
Works in almost anything for me
Yes those are "particular" waves. Santa Cruz / SoCal waves are perfect for that board.
Slopey. Ocean Beach is not consistant like that. Indicators is a big slopey long face goes on forever I love it. But I'm jaded on Santa Cruz and go only when really desperate. The vaquero would also be a rockstar out there. If anything it has a bigger range. Yes V8 is super fun and I'd ride it more if I surfed indicators

Adamclimbs

May 26, 2017
Santa Cruz
Tail rockers are too straight, rocker apex pushed far forward
Liddle keeps the rocker apex at center is where the magic happens
It seems like the shorter and midsize vaqueros fit that pattern but my 9'6" has a good amount of rocker throughout. When I picked up my two pack from Marc a few months ago he talked about the rocker on edge boards being slightly different. So the fact that this one is Edge might be a factor. But yeah, my shorter non edge ones are flat as hell but have suited me well on the waves I surf.

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Maybe I’m being controversial here but in my ( from a distance ) view, the Mcvee and the v8 are still variations on the niche that the vaquero sits in.

It’s still quite one dimensional surfing ( imho) and it still suits down the line, lined up slopey predictable waves ( a profile which many Californian waves fit)

Sure you can make these boards work in other waves but it doesn’t make them the only kind of fun surfing and it also limits the lines you can draw.

Different branches of the design tree give different feelings and if you ignore that you are missing out, that’s my feeling anyway.

From the outside I would say that Marc has a particular feel and way he liked to ride waves / see waves ridden and he created a quiver of boards that are all variations on that theme. He’s obviously a genius but it doesn’t mean his is the only way.

A parting example. Frye’s shaping is a product of long slopey Californian waves too but his solution & the design thread that runs through his boards is quite different but arguably just as valid (& reportedly just as quirky to dial in but in a different way)

Carry on.......

Last edited:

DanSan

Jun 7, 2012
Soquel,CA
Maybe I’m being controversial here but in my ( from a distance ) view, the Mcvee and the v8 are still variations on the niche that the vaquero sits in.

It’s still quite one dimensional surfing ( imho) and it still suits down the line, lined up slopey predictable waves ( a profile which many Californian waves fit)

Sure you can make these boards work in other waves but it doesn’t make them the only kind of fun surfing and it also limits the lines you can draw.

Different branches of the design tree give different feelings and if you ignore that you are missing out, that’s my feeling anyway.

From the outside I would say that Marc has a particular feel and way he liked to ride waves / see waves ridden and he created a quiver of boards that are all variations on that theme. He’s obviously a genius but it doesn’t mean his is the only way.

A parting example. Frye’s shaping is a product of long slopey Californian waves too but his solution & the design thread that runs through his boards is quite different but arguably just as valid (& reportedly just as quirky to dial in but in a different way)

Carry on.......
Chicken and the egg
The v bottoms and hulls

I have fun all the time… peroid

DanSan

Jun 7, 2012
Soquel,CA
Yes those are "particular" waves. Santa Cruz / SoCal waves are perfect for that board.
Slopey. Ocean Beach is not consistant like that. Indicators is a big slopey long face goes on forever I love it. But I'm jaded on Santa Cruz and go only when really desperate. The vaquero would also be a rockstar out there. If anything it has a bigger range. Yes V8 is super fun and I'd ride it more if I surfed indicators
Maybe get a bigger nvm from Bruce fowler
I had an 8.6 and 8.0 I regret selling
I have a frankenspud from Dane perlee
That works well in anything
Where it fits in with the whole vaquero,vbottom, hull discussion
No clue
Maybe Dane could lend some insights

skazat

Apr 1, 2021
Los Angeles
If you ever wanna sell either the 7 or the 8'2 Id be very interested!

skazat

Apr 1, 2021
Los Angeles
Time to start that trad dad life
I used climb v11ish and sport high 13s. 20 years of climbing as left me with a torn bicep, labrum tears in both shoulders, torn pec, 2 herniated discs, and messed up fingers for life haha. No ragrets though. I actually plan to stop by a touchstone gym today and start the process back at least to a certain level.

I feel as though my andreinis are like the classic sport cars you bring out on Sunday’s. Looks cool, a conversation piece, has style, lots of fun, but the latest and greatest will shit all over your piece of equipment.

What do I know though. They say the best surfer/climber in the world is the one having the most fun. So have fun and do both like no one is watching.
If you didnt already sign up with Touchstone I just got an email from them today that they are waiving the 100$ Initiation fee on memberships for the rest of January.

Members online