Bummed on Vaquero

messierishome

Oct 15, 2020
San Francisco
THE VAQUERO IS A GOOD BOARD FOR BAD SURFERS

CHANGE MY MIND :)

OLD FOIL PRE MARC INJURY > NEW FAT AS FUCK FOIL
Yeah
My experience, in shifty/unpredictable beach breaks, is that the Andreini's (single fins) had too little tail rocker to make the necessary adjustments/turns, cutbacks and quick pull-outs. They ran INSANELY good in "point and shoot" and more predictable waves where you could know ahead of time where you needed too load up for a turn and execute. I have a shaper friend who was able to mimic a couple boards with some adjustments that made them work much better in the crap that I surf more regularly. Most notably: more tail rocker and adding side bites! Look at my avatar to see my Serena based board with 2+1 in Costa Rica. Mo'bettah! That being said. I rode this with the OG Andreini single in a really predictable break once (once) and it was absolute MAGIC! BUT, I don't get those conditions more that once a year. If I was in Point Landia or clean So Cal, I would love the standard Andreini as is prescribed by the master shaper, including his single fin.

It frustrates me to see all these amazing boards shaped for shops, by lots of shapers, with a single fin box and no sidebite FCS plugs. You don't need to pop in side bites if you do not want, but the option would be nice for those that want/need to! The board goes from "Hero to zero" without those plugs for me. More tail rocker. Side bite option. Bonzer is even better!
What you said in regards to predictable waves is spot on my experience. I surf it at OB so ... its not predictable 80% of the time. I have had sessions on predictable waves both at OB and other places that it was magic but otherwise has you wishing for more.

jdo2

Sep 12, 2008
No need to feel bummed.

Greg Liddle wrote this piece to explain what we should expect from riding a ‘hull’ and where we should seek to ride one 10 years ago in response to peoples’ dissatisfaction with his own designs at that time.

Marc’s boards share many formal characteristics with Liddle’s as both shared geographical and historical lineage.

Stay stoked.

Confused

Mar 11, 2008
I wanted to lived up the feel of my 8’6” Vaquero, so I switched it up to a 10.25" super rakey, super foiled and narrow fin. Really aggressive looking, but holds just as well as the 9.5" GL wide base fin I was using, and is loose and more responsive. Zero issues with sliding out. Loving it, so far!

That’s my fin, but not my Vaquero.
Nice, who makes that fin?

SeabassMan

Aug 8, 2019
Bodega Bay
Vaqueroitis quick fix - Ride a McVee
I had a McVee and it had the same problems! The vee made is SEEM responsive to going rail to rail, BUT there was no tail rocker and the sucker would just roll over or skid out if waves SH to HH. Thought about getting local glasser to put in side bite plugs. Realized that would cost a lot and that a lot of folks would want the board "as is" given the long wait for Andreini's and the respect to let her be what the shaper intended for a wanting person. It was a "gentleman's surfboard" for limited conditions and not utilitarian surfboard for me. My local surf breaks are just too unpredictable for boards that only work in limited conditions. SoCal would be prime for a McVee. Not up north of SF, it turns out. There are some amazing elements to the Mc Vee that I put into a garage shaped board. It works better for me. Kudos to Marc Andreini for the inspiration and craftsmanship to study and use as a guide for my conundrum! His shape was so perfect and well foiled/glassed. Another reason to pass her on vs franken-fix her to my needs!

Members online