Bummed on Vaquero

Will Hutchison

May 10, 2019
San Diego
I wanted to lived up the feel of my 8’6” Vaquero, so I switched it up to a 10.25" super rakey, super foiled and narrow fin. Really aggressive looking, but holds just as well as the 9.5" GL wide base fin I was using, and is loose and more responsive. Zero issues with sliding out. Loving it, so far!

That’s my fin, but not my Vaquero.

Attachments

• 53D5AD96-30FF-4CFF-A223-4F3CBCF928B8.jpeg
    53D5AD96-30FF-4CFF-A223-4F3CBCF928B8.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 82

messierishome

Oct 15, 2020
San Francisco
Basically, wider base (PHd) for powerful surf and narrow base liddle or AFlex for smaller. At least that’s what I’ve found on my 7’2”.

Otherwise the biggest problem with my vaqueros is that I never rock climb anymore.
Same :( I miss my climbing days. But I think the baby is more to blame. I imagine she's going to climb before she surfs so it'll come back.

Yea A flex is fine ... But going to try @Bryce fin.

Shadownboxn7

Sep 30, 2020
Northern California
Same :( I miss my climbing days. But I think the baby is more to blame. I imagine she's going to climb before she surfs so it'll come back.

Yea A flex is fine ... But going to try @Bryce fin.
I’ve been climbing the better part of 20 years but have mostly been in the water the past 4. I’ve been told that the ocean is where climbers go to retire. I think surfing is a much more sustainable sport than climbing is. It’s why you see older dudes still charging in the lineup but barely see 30+ year olds bouldering, or 45+ chasing grades on ropes. There are outliers of course.

But back on topic, I’ve had 2 vaqueros. A 6’6” and 6’10. They were ok but not worth holding on to. I’ve had a leenough though that I regret selling and a MP edge that I’ve been having been having fun on.

People may not like what I’m about to say but I bring out my andreinis when I’m feeling lazy and just want to have fun. I bring out my others boards when I want to be a better surfer.

messierishome

Oct 15, 2020
San Francisco
I’ve been climbing the better part of 20 years but have mostly been in the water the past 4. I’ve been told that the ocean is where climbers go to retire. I think surfing is a much more sustainable sport than climbing is. It’s why you see older dudes still charging in the lineup but barely see 30+ year olds bouldering, or 45+ chasing grades on ropes. There are outliers of course.

But back on topic, I’ve had 2 vaqueros. A 6’6” and 6’10. They were ok but not worth holding on to. I’ve had a leenough though that I regret selling and a MP edge that I’ve been having been having fun on.

People may not like what I’m about to say but I bring out my andreinis when I’m feeling lazy and just want to have fun. I bring out my others boards when I want to be a better surfer.
Ditto, I miss my trad days - no longer have my climbing partner and I feel like the risk is not worth it with the kid in the picture. In my peak shape I had a goal to climb v10 outside but I think that goal is probably not realistic anymore :( (Damn covid - I stopped going to the gym and got unmotivated). I'm holding on to the idea that my girl could get into it then I can have a little more fun with it.

Yeah Im pretty sure there are some crazy Andreini worshippers on here - however I feel you on the feeling lazy board. Yeah Im discovering the Vaq has a specific place in my quiver - but by no means giving up or shit talking it. Ill mess with the fin to see if I can open it up to my liking a bit more but yeah Im ready to explore other mids.

Shadownboxn7

Sep 30, 2020
Northern California
Ditto, I miss my trad days - no longer have my climbing partner and I feel like the risk is not worth it with the kid in the picture. In my peak shape I had a goal to climb v10 outside but I think that goal is probably not realistic anymore :( (Damn covid - I stopped going to the gym and got unmotivated). I'm holding on to the idea that my girl could get into it then I can have a little more fun with it.

Yeah Im pretty sure there are some crazy Andreini worshippers on here - however I feel you on the feeling lazy board. Yeah Im discovering the Vaq has a specific place in my quiver - but by no means giving up or shit talking it. Ill mess with the fin to see if I can open it up to my liking a bit more but yeah Im ready to explore other mids.
Time to start that trad dad life
I used climb v11ish and sport high 13s. 20 years of climbing as left me with a torn bicep, labrum tears in both shoulders, torn pec, 2 herniated discs, and messed up fingers for life haha. No ragrets though. I actually plan to stop by a touchstone gym today and start the process back at least to a certain level.

I feel as though my andreinis are like the classic sport cars you bring out on Sunday’s. Looks cool, a conversation piece, has style, lots of fun, but the latest and greatest will shit all over your piece of equipment.

What do I know though. They say the best surfer/climber in the world is the one having the most fun. So have fun and do both like no one is watching.

SeabassMan

Aug 8, 2019
Bodega Bay
My experience, in shifty/unpredictable beach breaks, is that the Andreini's (single fins) had too little tail rocker to make the necessary adjustments/turns, cutbacks and quick pull-outs. They ran INSANELY good in "point and shoot" and more predictable waves where you could know ahead of time where you needed too load up for a turn and execute. I have a shaper friend who was able to mimic a couple boards with some adjustments that made them work much better in the crap that I surf more regularly. Most notably: more tail rocker and adding side bites! Look at my avatar to see my Serena based board with 2+1 in Costa Rica. Mo'bettah! That being said. I rode this with the OG Andreini single in a really predictable break once (once) and it was absolute MAGIC! BUT, I don't get those conditions more that once a year. If I was in Point Landia or clean So Cal, I would love the standard Andreini as is prescribed by the master shaper, including his single fin.

It frustrates me to see all these amazing boards shaped for shops, by lots of shapers, with a single fin box and no sidebite FCS plugs. You don't need to pop in side bites if you do not want, but the option would be nice for those that want/need to! The board goes from "Hero to zero" without those plugs for me. More tail rocker. Side bite option. Bonzer is even better!

messierishome

Oct 15, 2020
San Francisco
THE VAQUERO IS A GOOD BOARD FOR BAD SURFERS

CHANGE MY MIND :)

OLD FOIL PRE MARC INJURY > NEW FAT AS FUCK FOIL
Yeah
My experience, in shifty/unpredictable beach breaks, is that the Andreini's (single fins) had too little tail rocker to make the necessary adjustments/turns, cutbacks and quick pull-outs. They ran INSANELY good in "point and shoot" and more predictable waves where you could know ahead of time where you needed too load up for a turn and execute. I have a shaper friend who was able to mimic a couple boards with some adjustments that made them work much better in the crap that I surf more regularly. Most notably: more tail rocker and adding side bites! Look at my avatar to see my Serena based board with 2+1 in Costa Rica. Mo'bettah! That being said. I rode this with the OG Andreini single in a really predictable break once (once) and it was absolute MAGIC! BUT, I don't get those conditions more that once a year. If I was in Point Landia or clean So Cal, I would love the standard Andreini as is prescribed by the master shaper, including his single fin.

It frustrates me to see all these amazing boards shaped for shops, by lots of shapers, with a single fin box and no sidebite FCS plugs. You don't need to pop in side bites if you do not want, but the option would be nice for those that want/need to! The board goes from "Hero to zero" without those plugs for me. More tail rocker. Side bite option. Bonzer is even better!
What you said in regards to predictable waves is spot on my experience. I surf it at OB so ... its not predictable 80% of the time. I have had sessions on predictable waves both at OB and other places that it was magic but otherwise has you wishing for more.