Bummed on Vaquero

skurp

Feb 11, 2021
San Diego
I'm going to preface this by saying I may get some hate mail from this, but know this comes from a sincere place.

So I've been riding my 7'9 Vaquero for about a year, previously a 9'0 edge vaq for another year prior. In a way its been my favorite board - my do it all, when in doubt bring that board. But lately I have to say I've gotten tired and annoyed by it. My buddy recently picked up a 7'6 Blackbird Hawkeye 2+1 and I've been trading off just to see how it goes on the same waves (both smaller and bigger faces) same conditions and it made me get annoyed at the Vaq.

Here are my gripes - in comparison the Hawkeye feels like it paddles easier (who cares - they both paddle easy enough) when its up on the wave the Hawkeye felt both looser, more stable and more so in control. Pushing off the bottom turn felt easy in comparison. Backside - was actually fun and felt way more in control then I ever felt on the Vaq. I am in the process of messing with the fin some - I know the master swears by his A-Flex but started trying the PhD and it does feel a good amount more drivey. But man dialing the fin position is an art in its own right. I think I'm planning to put it on the rack and let it sit for a couple of weeks - maybe the magic will come back.

Just curious if others had similar feelings or any insight to bring the magic back into it.
Ride that Hawkeye for a year, get bored with it. Then jump back on the Vaq and it'll feel fresh and fun and challenging again. Its the beauty and luxury of having a quiver. Yes, it's about having the right board for the right conditions - but it's also about keeping surfing interesting.

I have 6'10" fishy twin that I love and rode it almost exclusively all summer long. Got another board in the fall - been infatuated with that for a few months - Got back on the fish over the weekend, kooked it my first few takeoffs and was super frustrated the whole session because I had that thing so dialed a few months back. Now I'm determined to get the fish dialed in again.... I will and in a few months I'll probably get bored with it... and around and around it goes. :) Good problems to have!!

messierishome

Oct 15, 2020
San Francisco
Ride that Hawkeye for a year, get bored with it. Then jump back on the Vaq and it'll feel fresh and fun and challenging again. Its the beauty and luxury of having a quiver. Yes, it's about having the right board for the right conditions - but it's also about keeping surfing interesting.

I have 6'10" fishy twin that I love and rode it almost exclusively all summer long. Got another board in the fall - been infatuated with that for a few months - Got back on the fish over the weekend, kooked it my first few takeoffs and was super frustrated the whole session because I had that thing so dialed a few months back. Now I'm determined to get the fish dialed in again.... I will and in a few months I'll probably get bored with it... and around and around it goes. :) Good problems to have!!
100%

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
Took my 10'3" Vaquero out the other day. Paddled into a few shoulder high north county SD rollers and cruised down the line with a little climb and drop action. Steering with the ankles. Easy paddle back out.

So bummed.
Fearful of getting flamed on JB, Vaquero fans stick together through thick and thin.
0c70d0d8783937bce7ee5673d3da1e22.jpg

Bryce

Nov 6, 2017
_
The phd is a really nice fin, but it's the wrong fin for that type of board in most conditions. The leading edge of the phd is extra thick and bulbous so it creates a lot of drag and is really best in only punchier/ powerful surf. Also, the tip is really small on the phd. A more balanced fin template will be better. A True Ames volan Liddle or Skip Frye in 8.5" or 9" are the best stock fins you can get.

Something stiffer with a balanced base to tip template with a proper foil will give you a ton more drive and response. It will feel like driving a dirt road at 50mph with 4x4 vs sliding around in 2wd and being conservative not to over do it and slide out

Jc Nelson

Jul 21, 2019
CALIFORNIA USA
The phd is a really nice fin, but it's the wrong fin for that type of board in most conditions. The leading edge of the phd is extra thick and bulbous so it creates a lot of drag and is really best in only punchier/ powerful surf. Also, the tip is really small on the phd. A more balanced fin template will be better. A True Ames volan Liddle or Skip Frye in 8.5" or 9" are the best stock fins you can get.

Something stiffer with a balanced base to tip template with a proper foil will give you a ton more drive and response. It will feel like driving a dirt road at 50mph with 4x4 vs sliding around in 2wd and being conservative not to over do it and slide out
huh?