Bummed on Vaquero

messierishome

Oct 15, 2020
San Francisco
had a 8.4 V8....just didn't click on it. But I'd prefer to do more work on the nose area. Maybe never had the right fin? I dunno...
Yea I feel you there - I feel like it has moments of brilliance and then .. not. I felt that way about the 7'0. My understanding of the board is you really surf it from the front if you step too far back itll squirrel out. So for me I'd have trouble on steeper take offs where Id stand up too far back.. But I could not get far enough without sinking the nose. I had an epic sesh on the 8.2 when there were BIG flat faces... I could get in really easy... but I didnt need to engage the rail very much. I dont think it shines on small peelers or anything hollow.

skazat

Apr 1, 2021
Los Angeles
Yea I feel you there - I feel like it has moments of brilliance and then .. not. I felt that way about the 7'0. My understanding of the board is you really surf it from the front if you step too far back itll squirrel out. So for me I'd have trouble on steeper take offs where Id stand up too far back.. But I could not get far enough without sinking the nose. I had an epic sesh on the 8.2 when there were BIG flat faces... I could get in really easy... but I didnt need to engage the rail very much. I dont think it shines on small peelers or anything hollow.
I definitely feel like they need the right/a lot of fin. I have 7’0 v8 with a 9.75 knost fin in it that works really well. As long as my foot is in front of the fin it feels pretty stable but once it goes back a few inches it’s like the loosest trucks on a skateboard, really fun once you figure it out. I agree though, it does great in fat faced waves but the board holds so much width throughout its length once you’re in a steeper wave you have to do a lot to mind the nose from catching.

Jc Nelson

Jul 21, 2019
CALIFORNIA USA
I definitely feel like they need the right/a lot of fin. I have 7’0 v8 with a 9.75 knost fin in it that works really well. As long as my foot is in front of the fin it feels pretty stable but once it goes back a few inches it’s like the loosest trucks on a skateboard, really fun once you figure it out. I agree though, it does great in fat faced waves but the board holds so much width throughout its length once you’re in a steeper wave you have to do a lot to mind the nose from catching.

gets to a point where you have to ask, are you surfing the board or the wave?

messierishome

Oct 15, 2020
San Francisco
gets to a point where you have to ask, are you surfing the board or the wave?
In defense of the board you definitely have an awesome connection to the wave. Like this slippery cruisey feel.

@skazat yeah I reached out to Bruce he said 9.75 greenough and that's where I left it. But I think you are right I didn't fuss with it long enough - ultimately I didn't think it was the right board for my homebreak and I had more frustrating sessions on the 7'0 than good so at that point ... It stopped making sense.‍♂️

Jc Nelson

Jul 21, 2019
CALIFORNIA USA
boards should'nt need to be defended for their failings. the only purpose of 9.75 4a in a 7-0 is to add the necessary hold and drive that are lacking in that design.

not surprised you found it frustrating in sf.

Twinfindestroyer

Nov 10, 2021
Santa Cruz
Never quite understood the cult following he has in SF. Besides maybe the Serena, somewhat random, peaky barreling beach breaks seems like the worst possible waves for his boards. Would love to be proven wrong, but just curious

Last edited:

messierishome

Oct 15, 2020
San Francisco
Never quite understood the cult following he as in SF. Besides maybe the Serena, somewhat random, peaky barreling beach breaks seems like the worst possible waves for his boards. Would love to be proven wrong, but just curious
You are not wrong and not right. It can be peaky and barreling a lot but also not ... A lot as well. In which case they work fine. For going straight ish. They actually do work really great in hollow once you set your line.

The cult thing is beyond me. I think ppl lack imagination and I think jam and mollusk has something to do with it. Ordered my 2nd Andreini may 21 waited 6 months. NOW 2yrs? That's some desperate stuff. I think he's one of the few remaining master shapers with an awesome story so people dig it. I dig it. But like it's not really the most versatile board for sf as most pointed out here. It's hella fun ... Also I mostly go straight so it suits me ok. But there are boards that turn better and hold better in critical stuff.

Last edited:

DanSan

Jun 7, 2012
Soquel,CA
boards should'nt need to be defended for their failings. the only purpose of 9.75 4a in a 7-0 is to add the necessary hold and drive that are lacking in that design.

not surprised you found it frustrating in sf.
I would have to disagree

Being an extensive V8 test pilot for bruce(disclaimer).and my 8.0 blue moon V8.. is the template now.. I think I know of what I speak
.the board was designed with this fin in mind
I’ve tried others and nothing beat the 4A
And I prefer strictly a single fin
But others enjoy the 2+1.. quad variations

Other shapes are like this
Like liddle hulls with gl flex fins
Osprey speed demon with his demon fin
Bronzers with their wonderful 3or 5 fin sets
Etc

I run 9.75 in mine from 8-8.6
So I wouldn’t necessarily disagree
With you on the fin size aspect
On a 7.0 ..9~9.25/5.. might be best
In my book

As for the board it is what is
It ain’t a log, nor a pipe board,etc
But as far as waves
Maybe I’m lucky with my success
Ive surfed it in HI, Florida-Jax bch,
Santa Cruz from manresa to indicator
1/2 moon jetty
Grey whale cove
Linda mar
And obsf
Albeit clean small late summer early fall
Warm sunny chest high
So there’s that

messierishome

Oct 15, 2020
San Francisco
Yeah @DanSan I'm of the same mindset. Size of the fin doesn't bother me.
That's why I sort of like the bigger one. I can get in early enough to not have to worry with any funkiness of later drops of the smaller board. And I have surfed this one at OB and other places you are definitely advantaged when you get in early... on anything. Then the fun begins.

Jc Nelson

Jul 21, 2019
CALIFORNIA USA
I would have to disagree

Being an extensive V8 test pilot for bruce(disclaimer).and my 8.0 blue moon V8.. is the template now.. I think I know of what I speak
.the board was designed with this fin in mind
I’ve tried others and nothing beat the 4A
And I prefer strictly a single fin
But others enjoy the 2+1.. quad variations

Other shapes are like this
Like liddle hulls with gl flex fins
Osprey speed demon with his demon fin
Bronzers with their wonderful 3or 5 fin sets
Etc

I run 9.75 in mine from 8-8.6
So I wouldn’t necessarily disagree
With you on the fin size aspect
On a 7.0 ..9~9.25/5.. might be best
In my book

As for the board it is what is
It ain’t a log, nor a pipe board,etc
But as far as waves
Maybe I’m lucky with my success
Ive surfed it in HI, Florida-Jax bch,
Santa Cruz from manresa to indicator
1/2 moon jetty
Grey whale cove
Linda mar
And obsf
Albeit clean small late summer early fall
Warm sunny chest high
So there’s that

expected ur take. bruce is lucky to have you.

as always to each his own.

spent nearly a half century dialing and redialing a stash of boards that work. i dont ask too much of them. they just need to go where i see when i see without any fuss or loss of speed.

its def not this is my body on a board on a wave where will the board want to go

the best boards are extensions of your mind surfing a wave

my mind doesnt bog. my mind doesnt slip or skitter.

it flows

that is all