Bruce Fowler V8 Lean Machine

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
Thanks for this. My ears perk up every time that era is discussed by anyone with some personal connection. So much was happening and most people only had the narrative promoted by the magazines to go on. Never understood how the contribution of someone as talented as Farrelly was dismissed. An all time favorite board was a Challenger Micro Light rounded pintail Vee which I could have/should have kept and ridden much longer, but I succumbed to the marketing buzz that convinced me they were dated. It was years before I had a board that worked as well for me. Much I later acquired a Keyo plastic machine from the original era and it was a beast, with flashes of brilliance I could rarely predict.
Do you make this board in a round pin?
"Do you make this in a round pin"...........
I figured sooner or later someone would ask this!
I'm planning on another V Bottom in the V Series....... V9, V10 & V12 are still open to creation. Then again, I might call the fULL CURVY Pintail or Rounded Pintail version of the V8 as...... "Sister Ship".

There's definitely a place for it, as there would be for that full Greenough "Crowned Tail" to turn into a Full Moon, Frisbee or Maximum Round Tail.

This stuff goes back to my original campaign of "Exploring the Possibilities of the In Between".

There's a lot of room to create in the mid length sector, and it sure ain't over yet.

Last edited:

Macilious

Jun 15, 2010
Good day Jammers. I am going to order an 8'0" Fowler V8 shortly. Before doing so, I would like to provide a little information about myself to get better feedback on the size and fin configuration of the board I am getting from Bruce. I want the 8'0" because I want to get into waves early and often. I am 47, 5'2" 150 pounds. Short and stocky. I would like to ask anyone who has ridden this board a few questions.

1. What fin configuration did you order for this board and why?
2. Which fin setup do you find yourself riding the board the most...single, two plus one, quad, and so on? Why?

I know @DanSan surfs it exclusively as a single. @Macilious what fin setup are you riding this board as. Thank you in advance for your input. I appreciate it.

Kyle
Hey Kyle... I wrote the below awhile ago, but it still holds true. I only thing I would add is that I tested it out as a quad and it was too fast.... in the words of John Candy "SUCK MY WAKE is too much boat.."

First of all fins are totally subjective. I like smaller fins that give me a little slide with side bites to juuuuuuust keeps me in there. It sounds to me like you need a bigger fin and think "smooth" on your bottom turns.

So I try to think "smooth" on my bottom turn and then use the fin and corner of the board that's in the wave for control, then move forward for speed and drop down, then back to the corner. Does that make any sense to you? It does to me, but WTF do I know.

#1 the 4A is always the answer! There maybe better answers, but the 4A is ALWAYS the ANSWER! Don't anger the Forum Elders.

#2 Ditto E-Kim on Stage 6 (but I'm biased. I like E-Kim and the Stage 6 fin). With the Stage 6 if try to snap a bottom turn it'll TWAAAAAANG and you just stop dead. So think carving and not slashing.

#3 I have an 8'6" V8 and I have 2 "Velzys" - one is a fake super light plastic and the other is a standard both 10" and I set them 12" from the tail. All this advice came from E-Kim as well!

Enjoy the journey... because there's no destination.

kv63

Jan 7, 2021
California
Hey Kyle... I wrote the below awhile ago, but it still holds true. I only thing I would add is that I tested it out as a quad and it was too fast.... in the words of John Candy "SUCK MY WAKE is too much boat.."

First of all fins are totally subjective. I like smaller fins that give me a little slide with side bites to juuuuuuust keeps me in there. It sounds to me like you need a bigger fin and think "smooth" on your bottom turns.

So I try to think "smooth" on my bottom turn and then use the fin and corner of the board that's in the wave for control, then move forward for speed and drop down, then back to the corner. Does that make any sense to you? It does to me, but WTF do I know.

#1 the 4A is always the answer! There maybe better answers, but the 4A is ALWAYS the ANSWER! Don't anger the Forum Elders.

#2 Ditto E-Kim on Stage 6 (but I'm biased. I like E-Kim and the Stage 6 fin). With the Stage 6 if try to snap a bottom turn it'll TWAAAAAANG and you just stop dead. So think carving and not slashing.

#3 I have an 8'6" V8 and I have 2 "Velzys" - one is a fake super light plastic and the other is a standard both 10" and I set them 12" from the tail. All this advice came from E-Kim as well!

Enjoy the journey... because there's no destination.
Thank you @Macilious. I really appreciate your input. And yes, it makes complete sense to me about moving around to get the “smooth” feel of the bottom turn.

kv63

Jan 7, 2021
California
Yesterday I picked up my V8 from Bruce. What a nice person. After talking to him, I went with a 7’6”. I drove straight to Rincon. 2-3 ft slow and clean. All I had was a quad setup. I had a blast. One of my waves was 420 ft long. Thats an eternity compared to where I normally surf. I went out today with 2+1 fin configuration. 8’0” center volan and 3 1/2 volan side bites. It was too skatey for me. A 9.75 Greenough its on the way. I’ll keep you posted. Thank you all for your support.

Attachments

• EFF882F3-956F-4E2C-AD93-37C04FE3184A.jpeg
    EFF882F3-956F-4E2C-AD93-37C04FE3184A.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 9F93EB43-E2F4-4287-8DED-5D41DEAB7A16.jpeg
    9F93EB43-E2F4-4287-8DED-5D41DEAB7A16.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 5C64D164-A4A0-4310-9B7B-AD43A280535A.jpeg
    5C64D164-A4A0-4310-9B7B-AD43A280535A.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 92A95769-08FB-4D90-9572-5106AE3F5E44.jpeg
    92A95769-08FB-4D90-9572-5106AE3F5E44.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 49

R1H

Sep 7, 2017
N. LA County
Yesterday I picked up my V8 from Bruce. What a nice person. After talking to him, I went with a 7’6”. I drove straight to Rincon. 2-3 ft slow and clean. All I had was a quad setup. I had a blast. One of my waves was 420 ft long. Thats an eternity compared to where I normally surf. I went out today with 2+1 fin configuration. 8’0” center volan and 3 1/2 volan side bites. It was too skatey for me. A 9.75 Greenough its on the way. I’ll keep you posted. Thank you all for your support.
Congrats on the new board. Bruce is very nice, very responsive. He was a pleasure work work with when I got mine. Curious, how did you have it glassed? Where did you go out today?

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
Gee, that center fin looks way forward in the box. And that long box looks pretty forward itself. Last time I rode a serious, wide tail Vee was over 20 years ago but I predict the board would feel less skatey with the same fin set back 2 or 3 inches. Am curious to hear what Bruce said, or will say...

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
He's waiting for a 9.75" True Ames Volan Greenough........ I didn't have one on hand yesterday and tomorrow I'm p/u 15 of the regular issue 9.75"s and ordering Volan ones for th next fin panel to be done. I talked to Ames today and they have (2) 10" Volan's which I'm also going to grab.

Yes, I mentioned that moving the fin back should give Kyle more leverage & drive. I told him the fin is lacking the wider base and needs to be back some because of that. The Greenough Stage IV-A's have about 7-1/2" of base which gives the design drive & speed.

Craig Owings picked up an 11" Greenough version with more flex from Larry Allison (Fiberglass Fin Company). He put it in his Platypus & loves it and I have no doubt he will try that in his 2+1 BFV8 as well.

It takes dialing in for sure, but that's all part of the fun of it.

P.S. The 15" fin boxes ARE positioned far forward (10" for the 7'6"s) as the boards are designed to have control turning from closer to the center of the board. As you move back, the boards become looser, than looser ot the point of power slides, then full spinout. That's right....... the board is designed to spinout.......... which is a feature I retained as an homage to the old V Bottoms. I wanted the option for a good surfer to be able to map out the sweet spots that he could ride the board in more of a shortboard fashion then even position his feet to allow for powerslides thru a trun or cutback. Beyond that point he would know he can spin the whole board out if desired.

Placing the fin box further back would have guys placing the fin further back & trying to tail ride the board........ not what the design dictates..... it would work for sh-t. The
current box setup promotes pivot carving and setting the inside rail deep into the wave face. That's what I designed and that's what you get.

The trailing edge of the fin is essentially the wheelbase of the board. You can measure from the trailing edge to the nose and that is effectively the length the board is capable of riding like. There is a ton of horsepower & release designed in the tail section of these boards. They are not longboards - if you try to get on one & tail ride it like you might swing the nose of a longboard around, you will spin the board out every time. Board shown here is 7'4"...

BFV8's are being ridden all over the world, in some places I never dreamed they would be, like the Maldives. There are lots of them in CA, Oregon, New York, Florida, Oz, Western Europe, Hawai'i, Costa Rica, Mex, and beyond. They are also being equally enjoyed as Single Fins, 2+1's & 4+1's... it is really fun to offer up this different kind of ride that isn't just a copy of some earlier board & called retro or another 'evolution' model. or whatnot. I went back in time to 1967-68 while everyone else quickly moved on from V Bottoms, I stayed focused on giving the design more TLC in order to develop more potential to what was commonly called "the spin out queens" or worse yet "the boards that didn't work".
7.4 V8 Demo.jpg

Last edited:

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
P.S. The 15" fin boxes ARE positioned far forward (10" for the 7'6"s) as the boards are designed to have control turning from closer to the center of the board. As you move back, the boards become looser, than looser ot the point of power slides, then full spinout. That's right....... the board is designed to spinout.......... which is a feature I retained as an homage to the old V Bottoms. I wanted the option for a good surfer to be able to map out the sweet spots that he could ride the board in more of a shortboard fashion then even position his feet to allow for powerslides thru a trun or cutback. Beyond that point he would know he can spin the whole board out if desired.

Placing the fin box further back would have guys placing the fin further back & trying to tail ride the board........ not what the design dictates..... it would work for sh-t. The
current box setup promotes pivot carving and setting the inside rail deep into the wave face. That's what I designed and that's what you get.

The trailing edge of the fin is essentially the wheelbase of the board. You can measure from the trailing edge to the nose and that is effectively the length the board is capable of riding like. There is a ton of horsepower & release designed in the tail section of these boards. They are not longboards - if you try to get on one & tail ride it like you might swing the nose of a longboard around, you will spin the board out every time. Board shown here is 7'4"...

View attachment 45831
Good looking board. The fin box placement above appears to be in a better position compared to kv's. Maybe an optical illusion? Regardless, it looks like a ton of fun. Power slides? Yeah. Beats posing on the nose any day in my book. Mid-board surfing with so much planing area aft is gonna feel different from most everything else out there. I had the most fun ever on my old 7' Challenger Micro-Vee Pintail, but I don't recall there being that much area in the back half.

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
Good looking board. The fin box placement above appears to be in a better position compared to kv's. Maybe an optical illusion? Regardless, it looks like a ton of fun. Power slides? Yeah. Beats posing on the nose any day in my book. Mid-board surfing with so much planing area aft is gonna feel different from most everything else out there. I had the most fun ever on my old 7' Challenger Micro-Vee Pintail, but I don't recall there being that much area in the back half.
Likely an optical illusion. I have a specific formula for box placement & stick pretty close to it. Might vary by 1/2" or 1" further back.