Bridges

aussie-surfer

Jun 28, 2007
USA Wisconsin
All right, before I answer I want to give some hints. That city has many bridges ( I don't want to be too detailed as it could make it be easy). And also it has something to do with this place ( moar bridges :) )

It must be an incredible city to see.

Hopefully, I’ll visit it before it sinks.

Would this be relating to the bottom bridge?

WhiteRussian

Oct 16, 2007
Boston Harbor
Well, you got the Venice of course.
The city in my my first post is ... drum roll ... St. Petersburg, Russia. Over 300 bridges, 342 accordingly to wiki. 12 of them draw bridges operating on schedule. Given the fact the city is located at almost at 60 deg North there is a period in summer when the Sun barely goes down (so called "White nights"). Needles to say the combination of these makes it huge tourist attraction (and this is when I got these pics). It has been founded in 1703 by the Peter the Greatest in delta Neva river - because of strategic as a Russia's gateway to Europe. Connection to Venice - in original plan one of island should be converted into Northern Venice - all streets would be channels. It never happened but as a result the opposite sides of the same street have different names - like 10th Lane and 11th Lane. Informally St Petersburg often called Northern Venice.

I have a hard time to select another pic representing St Petersburg, but since we are talking about bridges...

5eda247e85600a4a3d2f7382.jpg

p.s. Over it's 300 years history St Petersburg experienced frequent seasonal flooding. Some were significant and deadly. The land is just 2 m above sea level and. About 10 years ago the large project protecting SPb from flooding had been finally finished. I was in elementary school when it began (late 70s?). So you have some time :)

aussie-surfer

Jun 28, 2007
USA Wisconsin
Well, you got the Venice of course.
The city in my my first post is ... drum roll ... St. Petersburg, Russia. Over 300 bridges, 342 accordingly to wiki. 12 of them draw bridges operating on schedule. Given the fact the city is located at almost at 60 deg North there is a period in summer when the Sun barely goes down (so called "White nights"). Needles to say the combination of these makes it huge tourist attraction (and this is when I got these pics). It has been founded in 1703 by the Peter the Greatest in delta Neva river - because of strategic as a Russia's gateway to Europe. Connection to Venice - in original plan one of island should be converted into Northern Venice - all streets would be channels. It never happened but as a result the opposite sides of the same street have different names - like 10th Lane and 11th Lane. Informally St Petersburg often called Northern Venice.

I have a hard time to select another pic representing St Petersburg, but since we are talking about bridges...

View attachment 38596

p.s. Over it's 300 years history St Petersburg experienced frequent seasonal flooding. Some were significant and deadly. The land is just 2 m above sea level and. About 10 years ago the large project protecting SPb from flooding had been finally finished. I was in elementary school when it began (late 70s?). So you have some time :)
Amazing! Had me checking out google earth to look at the Geography.

Do they surf on the Baltic and up that way?

What’s the building in the background of your bridge shot? Went searching for it but got distracted by the 300th Anniversary park and this monster.
A2F51565-571B-4677-9C12-A5EAB611E57B.jpeg

WhiteRussian

Oct 16, 2007
Boston Harbor
I haven't travel much around the world but I feel that St. Petersburg one of most interesting places, historically and culturally significant.
Surfing is dismal, 20 years ago nobody even tried it - only windswell, the bay is very long so no swell reaching that deep inside. Windsurfing, and kitesurfing - completely different story. Shallow waters of Finnish bay and steady consistent wind - good ground for wind-based watersports. Enormous number of canals helped to establish and flourish large SUP community.
The cathedral that visible through open bridge is St Peter and Pavel Cathedral (I linked wikipedia page) . It locates inside Peter and Paul Fortress. Every day at 12pm the canon fires from one on bastions facing river :) - you could see it if you zoom on pic at wiki.
Yes that Needle is sign of times. Very controversial project, lot of people hate it, Originally it supposed to be built in the middle of the city, but luckily UNESCO warned that would take away title of "historically significant" or something like that and construction was moved from original location to close outskirts. Still visible from lot of points in the city, and as affect historical skyline.
Here is another fortress and cathedral pic I took exactly at midnight.

880358CD-B88E-4204-B9D1-39BEE21FC7F9.jpeg

Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
France
Little medieval one from my walk a day or so ago. I always liked it and how it's now in the middle of nowhere.

Absolutely terrible photo, which I apologize for, but I keep thinking that I need to come back to this site with decent lighting and a real camera.

Some of the photos on this thread are simply amazing, thanks for sharing them!

IMG_20220324_135947.jpg

Last edited:

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
Amazing that an arched masonry Bridge has past the test of time. They built it to last.
Then ,there are the Roman Aqueducts that that are over 2000 years old.