Box to Glassed-on Fin

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by ac95, Aug 19, 2018.

1. ac95

ac95 Active Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Los Angeles,California
    5FE1FA97-F905-41AD-8EF4-B4D14597B356.jpeg Recently, the Glassed-on to Box setup option was brought up. I’d like to ask for the thought of the opposite, Box to Glass. In my situation, the box has been repaired, but doesn’t look right to me. I’d like to just get a glassed-on fin, color matched repair, and be done with it. The board is that Tyler 777 that came up recently on CL and I bought it thru eBay. To maintain the “Limited Edition” value to it, I’ve emailed Tyler about a possible repair, but I wondered what JB world thought about that repair.

michael likes this.
  2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    It’s a much more involved repair than glass-on to box. The box has to be routed out/removed. The cavity has to be filled with foam. Ideally the craftsman could make a 3 colored foam insert that matched the 777 stringer. Who has that material laying around I don’t know. Second best is to match the stringer colors with paint on top of the glued in white foam insert. Then all the hours of laminating cloth, laminating the fin panel on, sanding, glossing, final sanding, and polish. Big job.

Driftwood likes this.
  3. ac95

ac95 Active Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Los Angeles,California

Poop.

4. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

Congrats on the 777. Unfortunately Al, Neil is dead-on about the correct way to go box-to-glass-on for that particular board but in the long run it’ll be worth it. Triple sevens don’t come up for sale much because people who get them tend to keep them.

Enjoy

ac95 likes this.
  5. ac95

ac95 Active Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Los Angeles,California
    Thanks for the feedback. First impressions where a hit. I can see why people tend to keep this board. Keeping the board as is and has found a long term spot in my garage rack. Cheers!

michael likes this.