Bottom of board turning white and looks scratchy

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by bluemarlin04, May 3, 2020.

1. waveslider

waveslider Active Member

Jun 3, 2005
    USA California
    Whoa. $1500? That. Either the garage you are keeping it in plus the board bag is microwaving the board or the glass job was fucked up from the beginning. Send it back and hopefully they’ll make you a new one.

2. bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04 Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Hawaii
    The garage def wasn’t microwaving the board. Pretty sure it was fucked to begin with.

It’s the Windward side of Hawaii where it is rarely hot and it’s in a foil bag and vented.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    I really don't think it's a heat issue. I think that either the resin wasn't adequately mixed with the hardener, or there was an issue with either the resin or the hardener.

If you're not insanely careful about scaping the sides and bottom of the mixing cup, you can get weak spots in your gass because - unlike polytester resin - epoxy simply will not harden in spots where the mix ratio is off. You can't hotcoat it and have it set off the undercatalyzed resin beneath, all you can do is remove the weak areas or reglass.

I'm sorry that you're so far from the glasser - that really complicates everything!

bluemarlin04 likes this.
  4. bluemarlin04

Dec 10, 2018
    Hawaii
    Yes being so far away from the glass shop is really complicating things. I don’t wanna surf it and make it worst so I’m just going to put it aside for now

5. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    a quiet cabin in the woods
    have had a handful of epoxy boards over EPS, none had a vent plug, left them in the car during summer, never had a delam problem with any of them.

Taking a guess - whatever sealer the glasser used on the EPS blank before glassing kept the epoxy from properly penetrating into the foam, which would explain the delam, and the white swirls possibly the sealer breaking loose from the blank.

Regardless of the autopsy, your glasser needs to make it right, and shaper should know as well.

bluemarlin04 likes this.
  6. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Things seem to be going from bad to worse. I doubt if it could be bad foam but like surfnfish said maybe the sealer used on the shaped blank. Some don’t seal first others at least on Swaylocks use anything from a slurry of epoxy mixed with micro balloons squeeged on, to different types of acrylic spackle. Good luck.

7. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    Listen, reading this thread is painful enough. Call it a loss. And move on.
    I seen worst things around here. I know is completely unrelated. But shit happens, and it sucks.
    On the positive side, I saw at least 3-4 boards for less than $800 , used ones, proven design, from amazing shapers.
    Do not spend one more cent on it, unless the shaper will fix it for free. But are you in Hawaii now? and the shaper is in the continent?
    Shipping back and forth?
    forget it
    There's a guy in Honolulu who sells decent great boards. I almost got a Coop supernova 10 ft for decent money.
    And if you are on the east coast, take one of my boards and ride it for the summer.
    To feel happy without spending any $.
    People here in the ICU are in deeper crap.They will never leave the hospital.
    Perspective!!

DanSan, Mbaltazar, dingpatch and 3 others like this.
  8. bluemarlin04

Dec 10, 2018
    Hawaii
    6361C1AC-DAE4-40DF-845B-DBC16FF7EC6C.jpeg @Tenfooter

I’m in the North East right now for work. Shaper and Glasser is back in Hawaii.

You’re completely right regarding perspective. I understand. Believe me. I was a medic in the middle of Iraq during the surge.

Now I’m in my mid thirties and I’m happy to be here with a healthy family and happy to be surfing and gainfully employed.

Def not gonna keep throwing money at bad.

The shaper offered to shape me a new one free- told him that was okay. I’m not gonna take away from a small business like that esp in the time of a bad economy and when it wasn’t his fault.

It happens in life. Gonna call if a loss and move forward. Take my new infinity twin fins out for a spin.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    SeniorGrom, Driftwood and Surfnfish like this.
  9. bluemarlin04

Dec 10, 2018
    Hawaii
    I also just scored a brand new unused Isurus 4/3 for 250 bucks so there’s also that. Life works out I guess

davesburgers, pintail and Tenfooter like this.
  10. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Take care of yourself Brother from an old Vietnam era Veteran.