Bottom of board turning white and looks scratchy

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by bluemarlin04, May 3, 2020.

1. bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04 Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Hawaii
    Anyone know what is going on here?

Seems everyday it’s getting worst and feels really soft on the parts where it looks scratchy. I can almost push in with my finger on those parts. The entire bottom looks like a cloudy haze and isnt smooth at all.

It is supposed to be 6 + 6 S glass. The top doesn’t look like this.

Edit- it’s EPS/Epoxy. shaped in November 2019

Thoughts?

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Epoxy or Polyester resin used in lamination? Has the board been stored on the roof of a car for long periods of time exposed to the sun? How old is the board?

bluemarlin04 likes this.
  3. bluemarlin04

Dec 10, 2018
    Hawaii
    epoxy. It’s EPS.

always kept in a bag in my garage. It was shaped and glassed in November 2019

4. SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Hmmmm.....ok thanks. Needles to say, shouldn’t be happening. Maybe Bruce Fowler can give some thoughts? The only other idea I can think of is some sort of final coating/sealer was added. I experience this at times repairing boards. It is more common that spray on or wipe on sealers are being used in board production making it difficult prepping the surface (during a repair) for a final gloss coat. Some sort of oxidation or deterioration is happening. Probably contacting the shaper and or glass shop will help to provide a solution.

bluemarlin04 likes this.
  5. bluemarlin04

Dec 10, 2018
    Hawaii
    Thanks @SeniorGrom

frustrating cause I paid 800.00 for the glass job and it was glassed at a reputable spot. Since it was color, heavy S glass, etc.

This was my first time buying from a shaper and getting the blank glassed seperate.

Needless to say after spending 800 on a glass job and for this to happen I am not stoked.

The shape is one of my favorite boards so I’m even more bummed cause I like this board so much.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  6. SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Understandable. Stay cool. Mistakes do happen and the glass shop needs the feedback.

DJR likes this.
  7. bluemarlin04

Dec 10, 2018
    Hawaii
    For Sure. The guy who glassed it is a nice guy and I doubt any of this was malicious or cause of taking short cuts.

Things happen. No big deal. Just hope it’s salvageable. Just went and checked the board again and there seems to be some big air bubbles at the laps as well

8. SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Because EPS especially in the lighter density has air between the beads, it can ‘out gas’ during lamination. I have read that’s why it should be lamed during decreasing temps. These issues would show up before the boards was completed though not after the resin is fully cured. I’m no expert, just thoughts and hope you get it worked out.

9. MrChristmas

MrChristmas Active Member

Dec 10, 2014
    USA California
    I have watched glass shops wipe on with a sponge Acrylic floor wax (Future brand) to seal up a sanded finished boards

Artz likes this.
  10. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    This looks like theBoard is gassing out. If this is a very low density foam the Board could have been sucking moisture out of the air while waiting to be glassed. If the Board was built in a high humidity environment that is a distinct possibility.
    You may want to set the board out in the sun let the board warm up a bit the drill a tiny hole into one of the soft spots. If it is moisture under the glass it will blow some air up out of the hole. If you can feel a little dampness in the air flow that would indicate trapped moisture.