Bonzers...

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by zalfa, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Planktom

Planktom Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    You gotta surf 'em

Vet - that has the light vehicle bottom, right? Do you go that way on any bonzer you might order?

2. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    LV only on 3 fin Bonzers. That's the longest LV3 I've ever had. Lively!

hankster and Planktom like this.
  3. paipodude

paipodude New Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Maryland, or By-the-Sea
    Deck_stdg_h1000[1].jpg Bottom_stdg_h1000[1].jpg
    Malcolm Campbell made a quite nice bonzer paipo in 2014. I sent a couple of files of my other boards and we spoke once on the phone. He nailed it. I used this board primarily at a semi-point reef break in Costa Rica, in Hawaii and Central California.

I modified the fin mix to better suit my shorter board (50 inches), so use a 4.5" center fin and 4 small runners.

4SmRunnersTailView_w600[1].jpg

WesCantDress, DJR, kpd73 and 2 others like this.
  4. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    One mad rad piece of plaid.
    Really impressed and love how you scaled down the fin sizes.
    I have always wondered about a bonzer mini simms but felt the bonzer system would hinder the design and purpose of a mini simms, also center fin drag interference but that Paipo definitelty opens the doors of exploration up.
    Would love to hear more about it and love the FCS fusion plugs option and resin work.
    Epic job by Studio 609
    Thanks man!
    Hey! Just saw you're in Maryland. Drop a line if you get up to RI area.

paipodude likes this.
  5. paipodude

paipodude New Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Maryland, or By-the-Sea
    First off, all my paipos are basically 50 inches (it is a long story but that size ends up being optimal for me at 5'10"). The bonzer system should work for you on a Modern Mini Simmons, speaking primarily to the overall plan shape. The aft 1/3 to 1/2 of the board when the bonzer design primarily comes into play. My earlier paipo boards, in the 1960s/1970s, were more tear drop shaped and I used a single fin ranging from 6.5 to 8.5 inches. With a standard Fins Unlimited center fin box it was easy to adjust the center fin so I used a 5.5 to 6 inch fin more often. As I evolved to a wider rounded square tail 3-fin set-up, I used small 2" sidebites and a 4 to 5 inch center fin (eventually settling on Turbo Tunnel sidebites as they were readily available).

The bonzer paipo was delivered with a 6-inch True Ames center fin and a standard set of 4 runners, 2 large and 2 small. I suspected that would be too much surface area and it was. Over the first two days riding the board in Costa Rica, which this board was optimally designed for, I proceeded through my "Fin Trials" and settled on my standard FCS PC-5 (4.5 inch) and all small runners. At that point, only having one pair of small runners and the larger runners making the board too stiff for my liking, I used a temporary pair of forward runners, first off a pair of 2" fiberglass runners, then a pair of small knubsters and finally, a pair of small bonzer runners (that I traded my 6" True Ames fin). The knubsters did a good job filling in until my pair of small bonzer runners arrived, but those really do it, and I pick up pairs of small runners whenever I can.

So my recommendation would be to get your FCS plugs properly positioned and then experiment a little. Riding a Mini Simmons foot surfing you might do fine with just a pair of large runners and a center fin of your choosing as your overall center of gravity is further back and your back leg provides more drive than a prone rider distributed across the length of a board.

6. elFlaco

elFlaco Member

Feb 7, 2019
    VA
    Anyone care to opine about that LV bottom? As I mentioned, I have a MBLV (3 fin) and it definitely has a distinct feel apart from other CB models I've surfed, but of course the whole shape is distinct. Veterano, care to drop some thoughts about why you choose that for all your 3 fin boards?

7. jtsfla

jtsfla New Member

Feb 6, 2015
    That 8'4 is beautiful!!!

8. TBasch

TBasch New Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Laguna beach
    Hey, I Have a quick question I have a 9'8 CB bonzer 5 that has the adjustable side runners, where would you guys set them up because all the bonzers I've seen have them glassed in with only the single fin being adjustable. and how does it affect the ride? Thanks!

9. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    For me, the LV bottom gives lift. Loosens up. Hence the name "Light". I did not say I've only had LV bottoms on all my 3 fin Bonzers. What I said was MC only likes to make LV 3s. It fits the fin config. He has made a few 5 fin LVs but was dead set against it.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Planktom, elFlaco and hankster like this.
  10. Bighouse

Bighouse Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    Ok @Veterano & others what model do you like for 6-8’ with a lot of water moving around? I have a 6’1 5 fin “Chile” model which is in between mini merk and shelter models. This board does great in stuff up to 6’ and I’m sure beyond but the days of paddling a 6’1 into surf a few feet overhead are coming to a close. I was thinking something in the 6’8 to 7’0 range. Getting in early would be the key, I know they keep up.

hankster and bfat like this.