Bonzers...

nineohtoo

Apr 13, 2021
Pacifica, CA
Tell me about the Veterano special!
I requested a 7'0" version of this from earlier in the thread: https://jamboards.com/threads/bonzers.8551/post-178410

We talked on the phone about how my 6'4" feels when it gets a little big here, which resulted in me asking for something a little longer so I can chase peaks when it's well OH (I typically ride my Russ Short in about 6-8ft faces). I asked for light bottoms since I liked them on my AO Pintail and previous MBLV, and he agreed to do the same rails above and even recommended I go a bit narrower and make it more like a mini gun.

Budthedog

Dec 22, 2020
California
Looks like a MLV with bumblebee outline, or I guess bumblebee with mlv bottom. Anyone seen or ridden one of these? I’m tempted to check it out but it’s pretty chunky.

nineohtoo

Apr 13, 2021
Pacifica, CA
Speaking of MLVs, check out this bonzer without runners. Looks like a single fin MBLV (not mine, only took a pic when picking up a board):

IMG_3260.jpeg

IMG_3261.jpeg

Shaped by Jacob, looked like S glass on both sides, white tint and gloss and polish for $800. I think dims were 5'7" x 20 3/4" x 2 5/8". Barely used. I can go back and swoop if someone's interested and able to split bag fees.

Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
I requested a 7'0" version of this from earlier in the thread: https://jamboards.com/
I requested a 7'0" version of this from earlier in the thread: https://jamboards.com/threads/bonzers.8551/post-178410

We talked on the phone about how my 6'4" feels when it gets a little big here, which resulted in me asking for something a little longer so I can chase peaks when it's well OH (I typically ride my Russ Short in about 6-8ft faces). I asked for light bottoms since I liked them on my AO Pintail and previous MBLV, and he agreed to do the same rails above and even recommended I go a bit narrower and make it more like a mini gun.

/bonzers.8551/post-178410

Have not looked at this thread in awhile. The board in this thread you referred to was slightly buckled during it's first winter of service. Got it repaired professtionally and correctly (and learned how to perform this type of patch the right way, I had done it wrong several times over the years) and is back in service!

nineohtoo

Apr 13, 2021
Pacifica, CA
So I didn't exactly get a board like veterano's, but after talking to Malcolm about it on the phone and looking it over, I still think this will cover what I needed it for and it looked too good to not take home. Worst case, he's willing to make it right if the board doesn't work out, which I'm doubtful about. Even if he was on autopilot when he did this one, I don't think he would have made something he didn't think would work, and I know he made a variety of these for Alex Knost in about the same dims (but 19 3/4" wide last time I talked to the owner of one of those).

It's really hard to tell, but there are light vehicle bottoms. In comparison to my 6'4" which is the same thickness, the deck seems to be more tapered towards the rails in almost every direction with curves in all the right spots. All in all, I'm excited and can't wait for winter. Also, Rob and everyone at VSS were wonderful, please support them if you're ever in Ventura.

7'0" x 19 1/2" x 2 5/8"

IMG_3608.jpeg

IMG_3609.jpeg

IMG_3610.jpeg

IMG_3605.jpeg

IMG_3606.jpeg

Sky

Aug 30, 2020
Southern California
Quick question, sorry if its been asked before. Anyone have experience’s with flat bottom bonzers? I.E. Regular boards with bonzer setups? I’m mainly thinking about a Lovelace ThickLizzy with bonzer bites or something of that nature. I recently picked up a gunny board (that does not have double barrel concave out the tail) that has FCS plugs and a single fin setup and thought about purchasing some side runners (3 fin option). Any feedback is welcome, thanks.

cheyneskeezer

May 30, 2017
Long Beach CA
My tri plane 8 ft nine lights bonzer works well in everything. Grovels good, and it gets in super early on anything of size. I find myself getting stuck in drawn out turns time to time and in my mind i blame it on the runners but more than likely its just me. It does want your back foot to be more in play than your front foot to make it com alive.

After a lot of trial and error I landed on a wide base thick foiled 6.75 fin that seems to work in everything.

Attachments

• 46123A88-A08B-48A7-8B48-2B2FA563D337.jpeg
    46123A88-A08B-48A7-8B48-2B2FA563D337.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 3C167B53-80DC-4EBF-B35D-A595FB049778.jpeg
    3C167B53-80DC-4EBF-B35D-A595FB049778.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 33
  • C84354FB-274A-4ECB-A092-1193C541483B.jpeg
    C84354FB-274A-4ECB-A092-1193C541483B.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 35

nineohtoo

Apr 13, 2021
Pacifica, CA
Quick question, sorry if its been asked before. Anyone have experience’s with flat bottom bonzers? I.E. Regular boards with bonzer setups? I’m mainly thinking about a Lovelace ThickLizzy with bonzer bites or something of that nature. I recently picked up a gunny board (that does not have double barrel concave out the tail) that has FCS plugs and a single fin setup and thought about purchasing some side runners (3 fin option). Any feedback is welcome, thanks.
I exclusively ride the 7'1" vBowls I got from bigboard with a 7.75" volan Lovelace fin with the larger runners from an FCS set. I tried riding the board once without it, and while it felt fine while trimming, it felt like it was missing something when I was on my back foot and pushing it through turns. I'm definitely going to make sure Ryan puts FCS plugs on my upcoming one or glass the runners in.

I've been meaning to try riding the Joel Tudor Bonzeresque runners from DRD4 but kinda forgot about it until you brought this up: https://www.drd4fins.com/collection...ide-runners-free-shipping-in-usa-l-6-x-h-2-76