Bonzers...

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by zalfa, Jul 16, 2020.

1. zalfa

zalfa Member

May 19, 2018
    La
    Looking for some info from anyone who's ridden them..
    Particularly interested in the bumble bee and Russ Short models ( 3 fins basically)

Have heard them described as better wave boards, or when your spot really turns on..
    What works well in waist - head high best? what sizes have you sampled?

2. Bman76

Bman76 New Member

Oct 27, 2016
    Australia
    I've still got four bonzers in my quiver, including a Russ Short and i have owned a BB. I love the Russ Short and ride it a lot, even in smaller waves; it just requires a different way of riding. That said, a Mini Light Vehicle works really well from waist to HH - especially if you can get a few different fins for the type of waves you ride. Another great option is the five fin egg. Mine is more of a performance style egg, very thin rails and refined and goes amazing in good waves. And that's another factor - what sort of waves are you riding? Close-out beachies? Point? Slabby reefs? Bonzers are so good. Depending on what you have been riding, there maybe some adjustment, but when you click with the design, they are next level and highly addictive.

3. ks77

ks77 Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Culver City, CA
    @Bman76 I'd be curious how the egg goes in overhead waves

4. zalfa

zalfa Member

May 19, 2018
    La
    What sizes are you working with, especially the russ short.

Russ short in 6'6- 6'9 sound so good.
    OC beach breaks like HB / Bolsa or North LA mushier "beach breaks" ala County Line / C street zone

5. Bman76

Bman76 New Member

Oct 27, 2016
    Australia
    My egg is a slimmed-down version 5'9, 19, 2 1/4 and is a really responsive board; very high performance, reacting very quickly, from snaps to full roundhouse cutties. I only ride it in barreling conditions, but it works down to waist high. I have ridden a 6'4 egg at about 21 and 2 5/8 and i think you could paddle that into anything you'd be game enough to paddle into.
    Tudor at Pipe on his egg:

6. Bman76

Bman76 New Member

Oct 27, 2016
    Australia
    I'm pretty short 5'5 and only weigh 145, so you need to take that into consideration. But here are the boards dims.
    Biscuit bonzer: 5'2, 19 3/4, 2 1/2 - knee high waves.
    MLV 3fin: 5'6, 21 1/4, 2 5/8 - knee high to HH (sloppy to good waves - jack of all trades).
    Egg: 5'9, 19, 2 1/4: Good wave bonzer.
    Russ Short 3 fin: 6'2, 20 1/12, 2 5/8 - waist high to double overhead (almost like a midlength/good wave board for me and my height!) Again, the RS can handle many different waves and if you love moving your feet around and surfing the wave, not the board - think mid 70's style surfing - then this is your board. If you ride mushy stuff more often, then i'd go a 3 fin mlv. That said - sell and kidney and get both! CCAAF63B-334D-4980-A483-E73FB5FFB41E.jpeg

WesCantDress and cjdubs7 like this.
  7. Planktom

Planktom Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    I'd echo what Bman has said...

I have had a 6'7" RS, a 6'8" Egg (no wing) and a McCallum 5'11" which is similar to a Campbell Mini LV.

RS will happily surf in less-than-stellar waves, but is a rock-solid board in chunky surf. Egg has a similar range to the RS in many ways, but is slightly more satisfying to surf in smaller/not so hollow waves as there is more curve in the tail. I took the egg to Bali a few years back and had some happy sessions on it at overhead Uluwatu Racetrack/Temples. The McCallum flew in both hollow and flatter-faced surf from waist-high to just overhead. It would have probably gone well in big, clean point surf too, but I never had the chance.

We have a lot of jumbled surf in the UK, with onshores and crossed-up windswell being common and I think that the assertion that bonzers only go in clean waves is a little unfair, they are more versatile than many people think is the case.

I am constantly swapping out boards and experimenting, so no of the above are still with me, but I would happily have the Mac back or another egg in a heartbeat. There was nothing wrong with the RS at all, but I just feel the egg is a better all-rounder.

8. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
    Always wanted one. Anyone in Southern California with a lead?

9. elFlaco

elFlaco Member

Feb 7, 2019
    VA
    Owned a few RSs (6'2, 6'5, 6'5), a Pod (6'5) , and MBLV (5'8). Love the Russ Short. Russ Short really comes to life when there is some juice, and when that happens it feel amazing - just buttery and solid. In smaller or weaker waves, meh, it's not bad but there are better designs. I thought I loved my 6'5 RS and then I brought it to Hawaii and then I fell deeply in love with that board.

If you are surfing LA county RS makes a good step up for special days but you aren't going to get that many days on it IMO. MBLV would be a better choice in terms of getting more use. The only issue I have with MBLV is the nose can catch in more hollow waves. I always thought a there should be a model in between the BB and the RS (and something like that is actually an option if you get a custom).

Ventura Surf Shop always has a few boards...

10. Planktom

Planktom Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    @elFlaco what did you make of the Pod?