Bonzer Mini Light Vehicle- yay or nay

JMJackFish

Jul 5, 2016
USA North Carolina
Had a 5'10 that was real fun when we had some decent surf. I was the second owner after picking it up from Dave at Freedom Surf. It took at least a stomach plus ground swell for it to get going and it came alive when it was shoulder to head high. Board was glassed way too thin for me (heavy footed sometimes) and when you looked at it hard it would dent. Sold it after I abused it for a year and a half. It would take late drop ins on our steeper breaks here like a champ. Board was fast and could put me in places that my quads or thruster wouldn't. I'd buy another if it was glassed a little stronger but that may change the ride...

Reactions: DJR

Mattp

Nov 16, 2017
Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Any of you riding these things? Thoughts? Opinions? Dims you like?
This is my first post here, which I'm diving into simply because I like my MBLV so much. It's my favorite board at the moment. I have the three fin set up. Mine was glassed at Moonlight, with no glass issues at all (Moonlight has always been great in my experience). I'm 6'2" and I'm packing more weight than normal at 220lbs (new baby, lots of work lately), so I ordered mine a little bigger than normal. It's 6'2" and around 21" wide. Catches waves great, performs front side and back side - all around great board.

BigTurbo68

Jul 13, 2020
LA
Exhuming this thread for a spooky back from the dead Halloween special. Thinking about a not-so-mini bonzer light vehicle, something like 6’3, 22-23”, 3 to 3 1/4. My current go to “shortboard” is a 6’6 wegener twin fin fish. I like surfing mellower beach breaks and slightly zippier points. I don’t surf anything bigger than a foot or two overhead and want something that’ll work waist high up.

My only bonzer experience so far is a 6’10 bonzer 5 step up that’s fun once I get it going but needs more punch than I’m comfortable surfing. I’ll be selling it on here soon.

Gulfzer5

Nov 2, 2020
Louisiana
I have a MB5 which is the same board but with 5 fin setup. Mine is 6 x 21 1/2 x 2 5/8. The better the waves are the better the board is in at least stomach on up in my experience. Not a groveler....at least for me. My 6'8" B5 egg is more versatile. Mine is a Jacob Campbell. I use it as my small to medium good wave board and my Egg as medium to as big as I can go board.

icecreamheadache

Jan 14, 2006
Definitely a yay! Or even a hell yay! My MLV (I think it’s a 5’8”) (3 fin) is one of my favorite boards I’ve ever owned. It’s loose, fast, flowy and you can put the lil’ fucker on rail. I surf it on anything under head high but barreling beachbreak. I would talk to Malcolm and get his thoughts on sizing ‘cuz these things were made to be rode short and pack the volume in. I’m 6’2” and 205lbs and mine couldn’t be more perfectly sized. If yer ever in the greater Ventura cultural mecca, you’re welcome to take it for a spin.

BigTurbo68

Jul 13, 2020
LA
Thank you these replies are both really helpful! I go up to Ventura pretty often, I’ll take you up on that. I’m 6’2 250lbs and very used to longboards so I usually err on the side of bigger boards. I’ll have to ask about sizing up- I’ve found that thickness is most helpful for me and it’s hard to go under 3”. However, that’s my own amateur assessment so I’d leave it to the pros. I guess I’m mostly looking for something that will help me gain confidence backside and helps me get better at turning. Also just an excuse to have something cool.
Definitely a yay! Or even a hell yay! My MLV (I think it’s a 5’8”) (3 fin) is one of my favorite boards I’ve ever owned. It’s loose, fast, flowy and you can put the lil’ fucker on rail. I surf it on anything under head high but barreling beachbreak. I would talk to Malcolm and get his thoughts on sizing ‘cuz these things were made to be rode short and pack the volume in. I’m 6’2” and 205lbs and mine couldn’t be more perfectly sized. If yer ever in the greater Ventura cultural mecca, you’re welcome to take it for a spin.

kpd73

May 8, 2013
USA Rhode Island
Thank you these replies are both really helpful! I go up to Ventura pretty often, I’ll take you up on that. I’m 6’2 250lbs and very used to longboards so I usually err on the side of bigger boards. I’ll have to ask about sizing up- I’ve found that thickness is most helpful for me and it’s hard to go under 3”. However, that’s my own amateur assessment so I’d leave it to the pros. I guess I’m mostly looking for something that will help me gain confidence backside and helps me get better at turning. Also just an excuse to have something cool.

You been made aware of this...?

Now about that 6'10 b5 step-up?

BigTurbo68

Jul 13, 2020
LA
Wow that 6’2 is exactly what I’m looking for. Wrong coast, unfortunately.

I already got one question about the 6’10 step up- if they’re not interested I’ll let you know. its very well loved but in surfable condition. It’s a cool board just not for me.

You been made aware of this...?

Now about that 6'10 b5 step-up?

nineohtoo

Apr 13, 2021
Pacifica
I really liked my 5'4" when I had it, but only in specific circumstances. It definitely isn't a groveler amd needs a little size or curve in the face if small to get going. It goes faster than a regular Bonzer 3 imo, which might not be fun in dumpy waves or if you're taking late drops. I find my Bumblebee to be more manageable in those conditions. I've also read Jacob say that the MBLV is easier to whip around with the squash tail, but they felt about the same to me. If anything, the accelerated rail rocker on the Bumblebee makes it seem like it pivots faster (I spin out on top turns regularly, which never was a problem on my MBLV in similar conditions). With that said, I think this would work great for the mellower beachies or slightly zippier points you want to ride in.