Bonzer longbord?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by rootdown, Feb 25, 2020.

1. rootdown

rootdown Active Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Rhode Island
    looking to mix it up and try something different. anyone here ride a bonzer longboard? opinions?

2. Pacis

Pacis Active Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Had a 9'6 Campbell bros 5fin with E wing, worked really good in sh+ loved the finding the hollows. On fuller tide I would put a 9" fin and get crazy nr.
    Bords Source has a 9'6 5fin eps in red $565

3. SeabassMan

SeabassMan Member

Aug 8, 2019
    Bodega Bay
    Bonzers work in everything. Like a mix of single fin and thruster, but better than either in my opinion. I would have the Bonzer option on all of my boards, long and short, if I could. Hard to get removable side fins is the rub on that. Defunct Lokbox made them, then defunct RedX, then FCS. Now nobody as far as I know. I like my traditional log for slow waves to be a single but, other than that, all other boards would be bonzers. I like to think that they trim clean like a single but then give a heap of positive projection out of a turn. Long, smooth drive vs the twitch of thrusters. I never did well with thrusters (started surfing in the 80's and struggled for a long time before I found singles and then bonzers). Singles are great if the waves are really clean and predictable. I am a "trim first" guy but I surf a lot of wonky beach break and I really appreciate some extra squirt and projection from side fins when I need it.

4. Macilious

Macilious Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    I own 2... A 9'4" and a 9'6" both 5 fin, E-wings, shaped EPS.

Malcolm did the 9'4" with minimal input from me and did an amazing job. When I first got it, I thought there was no way it would work... way too small. Took it out in mush and it rocked. It's my go to board for punchy surf. I liked it so much that I wanted a bigger one.

So I got a 9'6" (I thought the 9'4" was 9'2) - I ended up on the 9'4" a lot more for some reason. But I highly recommend them. Eliminates the needs for a big guy tri.

We aren't too far (I'm other side of CT) and I have 2 boards that need to get to RI (TLRI and Salinity). We can meet up and I'll let you try the 9'6" - see how you like it.

Artz likes this.
  5. rootdown

rootdown Active Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Rhode Island
    Thanks!- totally take you up on that. I have had a couple smaller bonzers and I love the feel- (especially those cutbacks). however, I find them very back foot oriented and wonder how that translates on a longboard where I might want to turn from the middle of the board sometimes.

6. Macilious

Macilious Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    I am very back footed and that's why I like the Bonzers. For me it's totally surfed from the tail. You wanna make all those fins and nooks and crannies work for ya. I mean, I can shimmy shake it a lil bit... but if you are looking for a more mid board turn, you might want something hullesque.

**please note that individual results may vary, please check with a shaper before riding these boards and if you have side effect like vomiting, headaches, insomnia or erection that lasts more than 5 hours contact a your shaper immediately***

7. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Good overall ride report. FCS still makes and sells Bonzer side fins. Team these with the FCS Fusion box and it's the best Bonzer fin system yet. And I've had numerous LocBox and Red-X Bonzer Bonzers. I will add one thing (could add a 100!) about Bonzers in a longer length. IMO, with any Bonzer approaching 9' and above, the E-Wing is the way to go (except for a rhino chaser). Cuts the turning radius down like a board 6" shorter. Viva Bonzers, Viva Campbells!

8. hankster

hankster Active Member

Nov 12, 2013
    USA California
    I own 2, nearly identical 9' EB5s. The 3" thick one I keep in SF, got it second hand and Jammers helped get it to me from NYC. I can ride it at OBSF in almost all conditions. The second, 213/16" thick one I keep in Central America. I picked up the thinner one on a CL deal, the seller drove up to SF from the South Bay. He had told me he "thought it was 3" thick." It was in such good shape I ended up buying it anyway.
    Boy am I glad I did. In Central American point waves, with me not wearing a 4/3 wetsuit, and generally a little thinner myself while down there on vacation, it excels. It's a quiver killer, from knee high to well overhead.

9. Planktom

Planktom Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Anyone had experience of B5 egg in the longer, 9ft plus lengths? Do they make them in that length?

A couple years back, I saw a pic or two of 3 fin bonzer speedshape, 9ft. Kinda one off type thing. Looked amazing.

10. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    9' Bonzer E-Wing Speed Egg. Works in pretty much everything and anything:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]