Bonzer fin advice

hullogfish

Dec 22, 2006
San Diego North
65CFDA02-3C35-4547-8BB8-298F33DFD1F0.jpeg
Picked up a 7’3 bonzer 5 egg(20ish wide and thin nose and tail, pretty light overall) the guy was running an 8 in skip fin by north shore fins in it. Seems like too much fin to me. I have 6.5 and 7.5 skip fins and a 7 in greenough to use. What do you all think? It’s my first foray into bonzers.

Reactions: DJR

InI

May 29, 2021
Costa Mesa
Whole thread about some bonzer fin alternatives here. 7in greenough on a 5 fin looks to be a goo combo, there is a rad pick in there aswell.

kclibman

May 23, 2018
L.A. County
My old thread - the Dobson has been great and I've never taken it out, but I also liked a smaller Skip as well.

Pretty McCallum you picked up there.

Reactions: DJR

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
My uncle helped develop the bonzers way back and he gave me one of his old bonzers. He makes his own fins that look like a greenough with a slightly wider base. On the 7’8” bonzer he gave me the fin is 6.75”. I think placement is really critical as well. He put some marks where I should run the fin and it’s a small margin maybe 1” or so where he says it works.

I will also say I have barely used my bonzer so I can’t coment on personal experience just what he told me when I got it.

To get to the point I think 7” greenough is pretty close to what I have.

kclibman

May 23, 2018
L.A. County
My uncle helped develop the bonzers way back and he gave me one of his old bonzers. He makes his own fins that look like a greenough with a slightly wider base. On the 7’8” bonzer he gave me the fin is 6.75”. I think placement is really critical as well. He put some marks where I should run the fin and it’s a small margin maybe 1” or so where he says it works.

I will also say I have barely used my bonzer so I can’t coment on personal experience just what he told me when I got it.

To get to the point I think 7” greenough is pretty close to what I have.

Is Max McDonald your uncle, by chance?