Bob Sakoda surfboards?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Milo Kim, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Milo Kim

Milo Kim New Member

Apr 18, 2019
    mar vista
    Checking out a Sakoda fish tomorrow and wanted to see if anyone has experience with his boards. From what I've been able to find online he was Donald's ghost shaper for 15-20 years, other than that it doesn't seem like there's much info on the interwebs about him.

Anyone gotten boards from him? Experience riding his fish shapes? any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    I had searched for information about his boards and wasn't able to find much either. I did see a couple posts, but I don't think there were here, where people enjoyed working with him on getting customs. I had searched him out to get a model-t like board, but someone ended up saying he was hiding and not shaping. Sorry I can't help more.

3. Fishface

Fishface Active Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Del Mar,CA
    yeah he shaped for Hawaiian Pro Designs... i have a couple Takayama fishes and they are legit. i wouldnt imagine he would sway too far off

hankster likes this.
  4. SDBoardHoarder

SDBoardHoarder Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2018
    San Diego
    If you rode a HPD/Takayama made in the late 90's-2000's chances are you rode a Sakoda.

5. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    He's for sure legit.

6. shapewright

shapewright Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    Bob is a super accurate shaper, quiet as can be.
    I was ghost shaping alongside him at Donald’s, every morning Donald would pick up Bobs shapes and start re planing perfect shapes, I’d see them before glassing, Donald wanted to be able to say he shaped each one.
    He should have never done any more than sign them

njrider, Artz, WesCantDress and 2 others like this.
  7. Milo Kim

Milo Kim New Member

Apr 18, 2019
    mar vista
    Thanks for the replies, cool to hear some insights into Bob. He seems like a master craftsman, I'm excited to check out this board tomorrow, will keep y'all posted...

WesCantDress likes this.
  8. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
  9. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    I have Surfed a few of Bob’s Boards. In fact He made me one of best boards I have had under my feet. It was his take on The Takayama / Nat Young Board. Been searching for that magic ever since In a foolish moment sold that Board.
    He was Ghost shipping for Donald for about 15 years. That’s along time. Donald didn’t hire any shaper off the street. He only wanted those that could put out work to his high Standards.
    Never Surfed a life Fish made by Bob. I have seen a couple of Sakoda’s on Surfboard Collective
    If anyone has contact info Let me know. Would love to get another one before my surfing days are over.

10. njrider

njrider Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2006
    USA New Jersey
    Very cool...when was this, if you don't mind me asking.

Makawaosurfer93 likes this.